Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket options

Master
    I have an Inov8 150, but like others it never ceases to amaze me how wet I get in it! I think it is sweat more than letting water through? but apart from being a nice looking jacket and legal as far as packing into bum bags or wearing post race, its not much of a waterproof really and I would never use it for a big and potentially wet day out in the fells.

Master
    Reading above, its strange how many of us have an expensive waterproof but we would only pack it/use it if the weather is set fair!

Went out in the pouring rain today in my Berghaus Vapour Storm. 10 miles & bone dry. Amazing jacket.

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/Uniqu...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    I have an Inov8 150, but like others it never ceases to amaze me how wet I get in it! I think it is sweat more than letting water through? but apart from being a nice looking jacket and legal as far as packing into bum bags or wearing post race, its not much of a waterproof really and I would never use it for a big and potentially wet day out in the fells.
    I think the zip lets a lot of water in - in rain it is the front upper half of my base layer that is wet - soaking - whereas the rest of it is just a bit damp from sweat.

I am not quite sure what kind of waterproof jacket you exactly want, maybe these cute rainy day outfits are worth a try.

Bagged one of these (the black/reds are the cheapest)a couple of week's ago when they were a tenner cheaper still (pricing error?).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-aether-smock-1/

Not cheap, but still a hefty discount and the smock is as light weight as the old Montane H2O it's now replacing. I've only worn it twice over the last weekend's deluge and seems okay - time will tell!
    Am Yisrael Chai

I've got an eye on the OMM Phanton Hoodie, which I understand is a stripped down Kamielka jacket... anyone with experience of it, I'd be grateful to hear any opinions...

also Scott make a waterproof jacket, but can't find it anywhere in the flesh, even Joe Browns Llanberis didn't have it, and they have a fair range of the Scott clothing. So looks like a bit of a gamble if I buy it over the net. Have no issue doing this, except I did the same with a recent La Sportiva jacket and it was a bit too lightweight to stand up to the rigours of a year's racing. So if anyone has experience of the Scott jacket that would be much appreciated as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Bagged one of these (the black/reds are the cheapest)a couple of week's ago when they were a tenner cheaper still (pricing error?).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-aether-smock-1/

Not cheap, but still a hefty discount and the smock is as light weight as the old Montane H2O it's now replacing. I've only worn it twice over the last weekend's deluge and seems okay - time will tell!
    Any update on the OMM Aether?
    I got soaked in my brand new OMM Kamlieka on way up to the Great Gable memorial service last weekend and was then shivering heavily at the top whilst standing for the next half hour. Bit of an unfair test of the jacket, but has convinced me of the need for a more reliable jacket in proper weather. Not sure if one exists, but the OMM Aether eVent or a Haglofs is what I'm likely to get next, so very interested to gear views

OMM have a decent sale price on the Aether jacket at the moment so I went for it, turned up today, haven't put it to the test yet, but fit is good and features all work as advertised - it is very, very well designed, feels like not wearing anything. Super light! The thumb wrap feature is much better than I thought. The sleeves are actually a little long because my chest is 44" and I needed the XL, but the means that the bit that covers my hands is a little bit longer and almost covers my hand completely. On balance I think this is probably better than going for the Large and it feeling a little tight, there's probably room for a thermal layer or something underneath for when it's cold.

Next time it rains and I am out I will report back on how it performs, but initial impressions are very good.

I am guessing that because they have a sale on that there's a new model coming out soon, but don't need the latest and greatest hey - I'd much rather pick up a bit of a bargain and be a bit behind

The Aether is ace!

Paired with an Inov8 merino hoody I was very comfortable through 40 mins of training this morning, even in strong gusts of wind trying to blow the rain in - no problem!

The top of my shorts, the bit under the jacket, were dry, the bottom were wet - no rain/sweat confusion here.

At the price OMM are selling this at the moment it's a bargain.