Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket options

Just out of curiousity, as I'm looking for Lakeland 50 legal waterproofs for Mrs TFG, what is everyone wearing during races as I only see OMM/Montane/Hagloffs recommended - both here and reviews, but there are certainly many more 'legal' options!? I have OMM Kamleika, which I do find I perspire in, more so than previous options (but this may be more due to the fact I wear it more, and in warmer conditions than previous options?)
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ambit View Post
    Okay im stuck between inov8 race shell fullzip and kamleika full zip...
    Montane Minimus all the way. No frills, keeps you warm and dry and, being a smock, you can get it on with frozen wet hands.
    I had the Kameleika jacket, great bit of kit but it takes a heck of a long time to dry out, something that you may find an issue if camping. The Minimus I just shake the drops off and it's ready to go. Minimus packs to half the size too. On the downside it has no hood adjustment but when I really really need to wear it it's not an issue.

I also have the Montane Minimus but the full zip version it was great at first but no longer fully water proof had it over 2 years now, just wondering is it normal for them to lose the the waterproofness(is this even a word) over time. *EDIT ha ignore me can re waterproofed with NIK Wax wash i
    Last edited by foggon; 21-11-2015 at 05:52 PM.

I had a minimus and loved it but it delaminated (ie lost its waterproofness) within a year. I got my money back and bought a Rab Newton and it's been excellent. I also have an old OMM which is lighter and I use for fell races etc. There's a host of jackets out there, L100 requires taped seams and something made as a proper waterproof not a shower proof etc. Not sure a Minimus would pass the test as I think there is an issue with pertex material. There is a review of winter running jackets in the current issue of Trail Running mag

Master
    Just washed my Inov8 Racelite Stormshell 150 and turned it inside out to help it dry and noticed that it has widespread patchy delamitation. It is over 2 years old, and I must have worn it over 100 times, but I certainly will not buy another. My Haglofs i series smock is perfect in this respect, despite being a couple of years older.
    Last edited by Mike T; 26-11-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Just washed my Inov8 Racelite Stormshell 150 and turned it inside out to help it dry and noticed that it has widespread patchy delimitation. It is over 2 years old, and I must have worn it over 100 times, but I certainly will not buy another. My Haglofs i series smock is perfect in this respect, despite being a couple of years older.
    I always hate washing my Goretex Vapour Storm as I think it will shorten it's lifespan. Not actually sure whether that is the case or not though!

Master
    Reading some reviews I see one blogger noted that a couple of the Inov8 150 jackets had already started to delaminate on the hanger in the shop - wish I had known!

so noticed some good deals out there but stuck between HAGLOFS - GRAM COMP PULL GORE-TEX ACTIVE SHELL and the HAGLOFS L.I.M III RUNNING JACKET - AW15 can anyone recommend one over the other

By the way i bought inov8 race shell full zip fairly cheaper than rrp few days ago and tested today under windy rain for about an hour. It takes ages to get dry and id say its ok for running but thats it.i come from years of using heavy duty waterproof garments and this one is fragile i suppose its tradeoff between lightweight rustle free fabric vs heady duty less breathable and more expensive fabrics.will see how i get on and post here at some stage.im 5'6 140 pounds and small size fits fine.i do like the.long tail and arms.