Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket options

Blacks seem to be selling most of the kamleika options ( jacket , smock etc ) at reasonable prices at the moment. wonder if they have been superceeded? still good kit at those prices. I find mine very comfy and being stretchy i can get a thin fleece under it if necessary (i'm skinny though but need large for arm length )

I dipped in for one of these - the race 2 jacket at £79. I had a Minimus Smock but found it tended to ride up and I got fed up of constantly pulling it down.

I was in Blacks just revved up to buy an OMM Kam smock at half price.

It doesnlt come with a stuff sack? I'm converned how packable it is? I've got a InovRaceshell that easily stuffs into bumbag with lots of room left.

Anyone comment on this - how do you combat this?

You could use an old stuff sack or roll it tight and fasten with two strong rubber bands ( the ones the postie throws down are good)...IMO not as packable as the inov8 but bit more robust I tend to reach for it in worse weather . Mind, mine is the jacket version with zip and pockets so the smock should be better.

Can you not just invert the chest pocket and stuff it all in there? Most of my smocks and jackets that aren't too bulky will fit into their own chest pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post
    Can you not just invert the chest pocket and stuff it all in there? Most of my smocks and jackets that aren't too bulky will fit into their own chest pockets.
    Did think that, but not sure you can. Anyway I went back and got it, as creaky says I will have an alt stuff bag somewhere and figure it will be go to coat when the weather is proper brutal - Inov8 is choice when carrying for shorter stuff and weather set fair. Looks and feels a quality piece of kit for £70.

Just grabbed a Montane Minimus smock, from Amazon, for £52 delivered. Not sure it gets much better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    I had a minimus and loved it but it delaminated (ie lost its waterproofness) within a year. I got my money back and bought a Rab Newton and it's been excellent. I also have an old OMM which is lighter and I use for fell races etc. There's a host of jackets out there, L100 requires taped seams and something made as a proper waterproof not a shower proof etc. Not sure a Minimus would pass the test as I think there is an issue with pertex material. There is a review of winter running jackets in the current issue of Trail Running mag
    It is Pertex shield (which is waterproof) and has taped seams, so I believe that is passes the requirements. I have passed the kit check at LL100 using one. I have also marshalled the LL100/LL50 and been told that they are okay and passed them through kit checks too.

In my experience, it is much more breathable than the OMM Kamleika, which I also have. I tend to wear my OMM smock when it is colder or I am carrying a heavier pack. I have had it for about 4 years and done many runs in it. It is slightly split around the thumb loops, but is bulletproof in all other respects.

I like both jackets, but I just use them for different things.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Did think that, but not sure you can. Anyway I went back and got it, as creaky says I will have an alt stuff bag somewhere and figure it will be go to coat when the weather is proper brutal - Inov8 is choice when carrying for shorter stuff and weather set fair. Looks and feels a quality piece of kit for £70.
    It does tuck into its own pocket (as do the trousers into their own), which them reduces the size for packing into bags. It is quite nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    It does tuck into its own pocket (as do the trousers into their own), which them reduces the size for packing into bags. It is quite nifty.