Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket options

That time of year to get this thread going again :-)

I'm looking at replacing my StormShell. It seems to be letting water in, although there is no sign of delaminating r the seams failing, so not sure how.

Anyway, looking for something a bit more robust for winter. Anyone any thoughts on the latest kit? OMM Halo looks OK, but I can't find any proper reviews.

I’ve got a Salomon Bonnati, I like it, they always seem to be on offer which is good, Mrs DTR has an Inov8 stormshell, she always looks comfier than me, but she doesn’t sweat as much as I do, funny she bought a Montane Via windproof the other day, says it’s too noisy, definitely a real runner now

Thanks DTR. The Bonatti looks interesting. I'm loving the description as well -

"A full zip exists for complete temperature control, it can be worn up to seal in the heat and zipped down to release an intolerable heat build up."

Who would have thought eh?

I (for shame) contributed to a Facebook post about this very subject...

The best lightweight waterproof I’ve ever had was a Haglofs one. I’ve got a real lightweight one (La Sportiva) but if it’s a real deluge then it simply isn’t up to it.

So my go-to top for when I know it’s going to be nasty is a £40-50 Regatta job I picked up in GoOutdoors... it’s slightly more heavyweight than a real stripped down racer, but I reckon it helped keep me alive at the Marsden-Edale in vicious conditions in January...

If I know it’s unlikely to be an absolute torrent then I’ll pack my La Sportiva lightweight...

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post

"A full zip exists for complete temperature control, it can be worn up to seal in the heat and zipped down to release an intolerable heat build up."

Ha thats where I’m going wrong, I was wondering why all of my runs were of the intolerably hot variety

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post

In case you haven't already spotted it, be aware there are 3 different variants of the Bonatti :- the Bonatti Race, the Bonatti, and the Bonatti Pro - in ascending order of weight/durability/price

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    In case you haven't already spotted it, be aware there are 3 different variants of the Bonatti :- the Bonatti Race, the Bonatti, and the Bonatti Pro - in ascending order of weight/durability/price
    Mines just the straight Bonatti, I have the Bonatti race overtrousers which are slightly see through and make you look like you should be playing a genie in panto if you wear them with shorts

Sportpursuit have the men's standard Bonatti in blue or acid lime showing up at 41.66 for the XS, XL and XXL (admittedly probably not that useful for all you whippets).

They also have the black version in XXL for any ninja/sumo crossovers out there for 58.33.

Bonatti Pro size XL only in a rather natty red/black for 79.16.

Hope that's of some help. If you aren't registered with sportpursuit then you can register through this link https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/60FC4FEB106C0D - NB full disclosure that I get 5 quid credit if you order from them, and they plant us both a tree to ease our guilt at rampant consumerism. Or you can just sign up from the website.

Mods feel free to remove link if in contradiction to T&Cs (but not as far as I know). Looking at the prices they may be ex-VAT, so check the actual numbers - I live in New Zealand so no VAT shows up for me. Looks like all their Salomon clothing is 50-65% off for the next 8 days.

HTH

b
    Last edited by Ben B; 14-10-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: (duration of sale added)

Cheers for the tips .... food for thought

I see there’s a bunch of more usually sized Haglofs LIM jackets on SportPursuit this week - half price, but being Haglofs still not that cheap.

The Lim Comp Goretex jacket shows at 125 quid, and their own membrane version 66. The Comp is about 250g for a “full” waterproof (not a smock) which isn’t too shabby.

HTH

B