Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Intercounties Fell

Thanks, we are trying to get a Suffolk team in...natural fell running country. Will keep an eye out for entries opening.

Isn't it 4 seniors and an U23 (if you have one)? Used to be at least.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Isn't it 4 seniors and an U23 (if you have one)? Used to be at least.
    Yes you're correct, I've just checked this out as it's relevant to my team!

I'm no longer involved in managing/selecting the Warwickshire team.... however have managed to get a vest this year.... has been a long time coming.... in 2016 i did the selection race and was in the top 4, but wasn't selected for some reason... in 2018 i got a vest but had to pull out the week before... i was looking after the team when covid hit so never got to field a team.

Women's race i don't have enough knowledge to give an accurate prediction, but hard to see past Cumbria. For the individual, watch out for Julie Emmerson (Warwickshire).... She beat Phillipa Williams (winner of the Long Mynd Valleys English Champs race) on the national XC and the course will suit her, i think she can definitely get amongst the top Cumbrian girls and get a medal.

In the men's, my bold prediction is Scotland East to give Cumbria a real go... with a mix of Elite fellrunners such as Alex Cheplin, and top road guys such as Jamie Crowe, they will be formidable.

Given Sascha's efforts at the three peaks, not sure he'll be racing, and if so maybe too tired to really compete - but then again the lad is a weapon so you never know! I think Jacob Adkin, Chris Richards, Joe Steward, Jamie Crowe probably the big names, always a threat from mystery mids/southern runners in the ICs/Mountain running as well.

I'll be marshalling somewhere between Arant Hawe and Winder

Kate Avery and Julie Emmerson the strong names less well known in the Fell community in the women's race.
    Disappointed at the lack of Derbyshire teams, one women and one man (both U23s at least), when you consider they won the men's not long ago. Maybe my country running career isn't completely over!

Kate Avery has represented England (or GB) at mountain running recently.

Julie has form on the fells, although is currently located in Bath... think she won the Mendip Muddle last year, and is a very strong orienteer.... also just knocked out a 16min/5km recently.

I also see that Sarah McKormack is racing, surely she'll be prominent.

I do know one guy who answered Derbyshire's plea for runners... then promptly changed his mind after looking at the lineup, and decided to go and race Moel Eilio instead...!

Cracking day at Sedbergh today.... for some reason i associate inter-counties fell with summer fellrunning kicking off in earnest, so it was strange to have the Howgills covered in ominous cloud... although it was very warm and the sun burned through into a gorgeous day by the 2nd lap.... in fact i'm suffering a little from sunburn.

Don't let anybody tell you that "mountain running" isn't hard... that was a tough course, my 2nd lap was considerably slower than the 1st despite feeling i'd gone steady on the first lap... the cumulative effort just built up.... funnily enough despite the capitulation i barely lost any places which indicates that many people found it difficult.

Starting on the slopes of Winder, straight into the climb over the shoulder and then a slightly easier section to the col before Arant Haw.... up again over the shoulder of Arant Haw, round the back, and climb to the summit from behind. Then across to summit of Winder and straight off the other side, contouring round to the start/finish and out again for another lap.

Think i finished somewhere in the 70's, 2nd Warwickshire counter, was in touching distance of 1st but didn't have the legs for it... a positive for me is that i finally beat John Hunt for the first time after a couple of years of getting close... very unexpected as i know he's done a bit on the European Masters mountain running scene. In the highly unlikely event i do the same at Fairfield next week i shall be very pleased.

In the ladies Phillipa Williams set her stall out from the start and i believe won with quite a gap... my clubmate beat Sarah Mcormack (and to be honest i thought whoever beat her would probably win...) but had to settle for 5th.

Not seen any results yet... i averaged about 5:30/km pace across approx 14km with perhaps 2200ft of climb.

Hello to ba-ba, thanks for marshalling.
    Last edited by Travs; 07-05-2023 at 07:59 PM.

A tough day - humid, a fast course, and lots of fast runners. I would have preferred a shorter sharp climb than that agony of 2 miles running (or shuffling) uphill. I think we (Suffolk) were probably last overall but it was fun to get a team out.

Well done TimG you beat me all ends up (although we did get the better of you in the team results )

I suspect given your time, and proximity to my clubmate, that we were in close contention for the first lap, until I fell off the pace.