Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inov8 terraclaw

Inov8 terraclaw

So my last pair of trusty la sportiva xc's have given up the ghost and I 've finally had to admit defeat at the hands of the anacondas (they and my Achilles just will not get on) so I need something to replace them with so was looking at inov8's new terraclaw 220 (possibly 250). Has anyone stumped up the cash as yet and if so what do you reckon?

I'm looking at it as a long distance mixed terrain shoe really but mostly in the British mountains with potential first run out being 'lakes in a day' but am just nervous about pulling the trigger as they are fooking expensive.

They look similar to a rocklite in the grip department, anyone know if that is that is how they perform? Are they in the x-talon or roclite cushioning domain?

Any help gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowisp View Post
    So my last pair of trusty la sportiva xc's have given up the ghost and I 've finally had to admit defeat at the hands of the anacondas (they and my Achilles just will not get on) so I need something to replace them with so was looking at inov8's new terraclaw 220 (possibly 250). Has anyone stumped up the cash as yet and if so what do you reckon?

I'm looking at it as a long distance mixed terrain shoe really but mostly in the British mountains with potential first run out being 'lakes in a day' but am just nervous about pulling the trigger as they are fooking expensive.

They look similar to a rocklite in the grip department, anyone know if that is that is how they perform? Are they in the x-talon or roclite cushioning domain?

Any help gratefully received.
    I did the Grand Tour of Skiddaw in them, and before that one long training run. Up to now that's it. I plan to run the Manx Ultra in them soon though.
    After the GTS I found I had a bit of rubbing around the top of the laces. They have a low tongue so it was probably grit lodged in and causing a bit of friction. But no other serious blisters. The grip is excellent, not too far off a mudclaw. The cushioning is good but 45 miles is probably as long as I'd go in them unless there was a lot of soft ground and little roads.

I've got a pair. I got them specifically with a trail 40mile in mind (flat, hard trail, muddy fields, tarmac) and also for summer fell races.
    I've got the 250s. Cushioning is good, the 6m drop helps, and the grip is perfect for the mixed terrain. They only come in Standard Inov8 fit, so the fit is more like RaceUltras rather than typical narrower Inov8 fit - and I prefer narrow over a roomy toe-box. THey also come up slightly short in my opinion, and because of that I'm not sure how much steep descending I'd fancy doing in them if I want to keep my toenails.
    So you want to get the sizing right.
    Overall positive though - although I got them nearly new off ebay at bargain rather than paying £100+

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    The grip is excellent, not too far off a mudclaw. The cushioning is good but 45 miles is probably as long as I would go.
    I find this quite surprising. Would this not make them a valid contender against an x-talon rather than as I thought a roclite? Managed to see a pair in the flesh today and the grip doesn't really look like much and the midsole feels pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowisp View Post
    I find this quite surprising. Would this not make them a valid contender against an x-talon rather than as I thought a roclite? Managed to see a pair in the flesh today and the grip doesn't really look like much and the midsole feels pretty hard.
    I only have Mudclaw 265s to compare against. I also have some Fellraisers (old type) and they are far better in every to them. Running style and technical ability will have an effect on how they feel though. Some people need more cushioning due to running style / weight. A high centre of gravity probably makes grip more important. I think Paul Tierey won the L100 in X-talon 212s!

Morning, just posted a review on the 220 here http://outdoorkinetics.co.uk/inov-8-...g-shoe-review/

Overall I really like them. Significant improvement over the trailroc

Master
    My red/blue Mudclaws are rather worn underneath so I went to buy a new pair - but the Terraclaw 250s felt so much more comfortable - lovely and roomy in the forefoot - so I ended up buying them instead. Two runs in them so far - trail and straight forward fell - very comfortable and no grip issues yet, but I have not tried them on steep wet grass/mud. They do seem as good as Mudclaws on wet rock. The shoe they remind me most of? - the Mizuno Wave Harriers, but with better grip.

Just tried a new pair of Terroc 250 today. Seemed like pretty good shoes. One thing though, they turned my feet blue! The dye must have run, and it won't scrub off my feet! Anyone else had this happen?

I've been running a few weeks in these now, with a very muddy XC race today. They are pretty good all rounders, but the grip is not as good on the really slippery stuff as an X-talon - as evidenced by me sliding all over the place on a couple of downhill corners today while a local rival in x-talons had no problems!