Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What shoes for Lakeland50

What shoes for Lakeland50

Overlaps a bit with Ed's thread but what would people go for for the Lakeland50?

My impression is that a lot of the route is on fairly good trails, so no need for mudclaw levels of grip, but although I typically like fairly minimal shoes for up to 20k I might want a bit more support / protection than my everyday roclite 243's can provide...

I don't have a particularly wide foot.

On paper, I'm erring toward the Inov8 Race ultra 270 but should I consider the Salomon Sense or sense SG which everyone raves about or perhaps the La Sportiva Mutant? Anything else?

I have limited options for trying shoes locally so I'll end up having to order online and send back what I don't want...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Overlaps a bit with Ed's thread but what would people go for for the Lakeland50?

My impression is that a lot of the route is on fairly good trails, so no need for mudclaw levels of grip, but although I typically like fairly minimal shoes for up to 20k I might want a bit more support / protection than my everyday roclite 243's can provide...

I don't have a particularly wide foot.

On paper, I'm erring toward the Inov8 Race ultra 270 but should I consider the Salomon Sense or sense SG which everyone raves about or perhaps the La Sportiva Mutant? Anything else?

I have limited options for trying shoes locally so I'll end up having to order online and send back what I don't want...
    My order of priority, which has changed over the years, would be this.

1) comfortable / good fit
    2) good levels of cushioning and decent support
    3) grip
    4) weight (most decent shoes are fairly light now anyway)

I would have it the same for the 100 too. The hard uneven ground has the biggest effect on running efficiency near the end of both. I used to think Hokas were a bit odd. But by my own list of priorities they wouldn't be a bad option.
    Some Merrells took my eye recently; one of the issues of this route is bits of stone getting in your shoes. I like this solution http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/all-...ew-all&start=1. However I have far too many trail shoes to consider buying them....yet.

I've got a pair of Hoka Speedgoats specifically with next year's LL50 in mind.

They look mad but I figured I'd need some decent cushioning. I got injured the day before they arrived and haven't used them as yet.

Cascadia's seem to be a popular choice also.

I've also got a pair of Inov8 Race Ultra, but I'm dissapointed with the grip. There's a local cobbler to us that actually replaces trainer soles with a standard Walsh sole - I've considered doing this to the Ultras to make a decent all-rounder. Could be a dog's dinner or complete genius.

Also bought a pair of Terraclaws, again with LL50 in mind.

Struggle to make my mind up on these things
    Last edited by RichardB; 28-10-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    My order of priority, which has changed over the years, would be this.

1) comfortable / good fit
    2) good levels of cushioning and decent support
    3) grip
    4) weight (most decent shoes are fairly light now anyway)

I would have it the same for the 100 too. The hard uneven ground has the biggest effect on running efficiency near the end of both. I used to think Hokas were a bit odd. But by my own list of priorities they wouldn't be a bad option.
    Some Merrells took my eye recently; one of the issues of this route is bits of stone getting in your shoes. I like this solution http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/all-...ew-all&start=1. However I have far too many trail shoes to consider buying them....yet.
    Spot on from Alan imho. Looking after your feet on the 50 and 100 is paramount. 25 hours doing 75 miles of the 100 did way more damage to me than a BG
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I've done the 50 twice. The first in some Hokas but felt they were a bit too much and felt heavy. This year I went for speedcross 3s and felt quicker but after 20 miles my feet were killing me. My current rocky trail shoes are Nike Zoom Wildhorse 3s £65 on wiggle. These seem great, nice and roomy, rockplate, pretty grippy and feel quite nimble even though they have a fair bit of stack height.

I've had good runs on the LL50 twice using Inov8 Roclite 315s with no issues whatsoever and they gripped well. The ground is mainly hard underfoot but there are a few boggy sections so you need to have shoes that drain easily and also that fit well.

This year I ran the LL100 and wore Inov8 Ultra 290s for the first 59 miles which were good for cushioning but I felt that they were a bit too wide in the toe box and I got a couple blisters from soggy toes rubbing together due to the movement of my feet inside them. I dried my feet at Dalemain, taped my toes, changed into new socks and Inov8 Roclite 295s and had no further issues for the rest of the race so I'd say Roclites are pretty good but its the fit and the draining of water that is important for me.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I would say trail shoes for L50, definitely not the mudclaws. I hurt my left foot really bad in L100 so can't comment on my shoes choice

Alan, Would I be able to run like him with the shoes you mentioned ?

_|_
    ./\.

Either hard soles or soft soles. I know that sounds mad but the trails on this route are mostly harsh, rocky and uneven, so you either need something to protect your feet (foot plate type) or hugely cushion them (hoka type). I favour the harder soles, Lasportivas or Salomon trail cross. I've recently bought some Scotts and they are working well too

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    Either hard soles or soft soles. I know that sounds mad but the trails on this route are mostly harsh, rocky and uneven, so you either need something to protect your feet (foot plate type) or hugely cushion them (hoka type). I favour the harder soles, Lasportivas or Salomon trail cross. I've recently bought some Scotts and they are working well too
    100% agree with the terrain description, personally I prefer softer soles as there's less pressure on the foot. the later stages in particular are quite rocky, just when you will want some protection.

I saw 2 blokes set off on the 100 wearing sandals. Never found out how they got on. I'm assuming they're still out there fixing their broken toes.