Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap GPS running watch

Cheap GPS running watch

Hey folks. Did a long run in the cold on Saturday and my iPhone strava app GPS crashed. Phone died in the cold, didn't register my whole run. I need a cheap GPS running watch that will tell me how far I've run, how much ascent I've climbed, have basic stop watch facilities. Don't need it to map read or give me a grid reference or anything fancy. Anyone got any recommendations?
    Thanks Joe

Sorry forgot to add, would like it to last at least 12hrs and be able to connect to my strava on my Computer somehow.

Loads of second-hand ones on eBay.

I use a Garmin Forerunner 210, it's done the job for me. Stopwatch plus your distance and then when you connect it to your computer it'll show your ascent on Strava too. Not sure on the 12 hour battery life though
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

What's your definition of cheap ?

Are you wanting new or used ?

Do you want/need ascent figures whilst on the go, or once back and loaded to Strava or Garmin ok ? Cheap watches will either have no ascent figures on the go, or will work it out from GPS which is notoriously inaccurate. If you want decent ascent data on the go you will need a watch with a barometric altimeter ( eg Garmin Fenix, Garmin 920, Suunto Ambit ) and these are all top end watches.

Cheap watches are also unlikely to have 12+ hours of GPS life, most of the cheaper ones are about 6-8 hours I think, so you'd need something at least mid range if this is important.

So, if you want long battery, decent altimeter and cheap - you'll probably need to go 2nd hand, depending on your definition of cheap.

Garmin are introducing new models in their mid-range line-up right now, so deals to be had on the older models, ie 220 replaced by 230, 225 replaced by 235 and 620 replaced by 630

Quite a few of the sites starting to do their Black Friday deals, so bargains to be had this week for sure.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Been quite pleased with my TomTom runner.
    Good basic running watch with all the features you'd like and loads up to Strava no problem.
    Its £72 on wiggle at the moment.

The only problem I've had is the Android app for it which allows you to connect to your smart phone (for downloading quick GPS and uploading runs). It's not compatible with all phones, was always a bit flakey connecting via blue tooth but has completely stopped working since I upgraded to lollipop. That was a while ago so not sure whether TomTom are ever going to fix this. If you are happy just plugging your watch into your USB port on your PC, then I guess this isn't really an issue.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

My budget is £150 tops. I'm happy for 2nd hand. Just need it to be good quality and be able to take a bit of hammer. I'm rough with my gear and use it frequently. I don't need to know ascent details on the go, just mileage and pace.

Quite a few reduced Suunto's on Wiggle at the minute, worth checking out. Sure I saw some at £160
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Very few watches have over 10 hours battery ( the Tomtom that pete mentioned above is 10, the Garmin 210/220 is 8 )

If you don't mind an older looking design, and a bit chunky, then the Garmin 310XT ( a triathlon watch ) has a 20 hour battery and is pretty bombproof, and can now be had new for under £150.

The Garmin 910XT and 920XT are newer versions and considerably more new, but you could pick up a 910 2nd hand I'd have thought.

Look at the Geonaute ones on the Decathlon website; you'll get one for under £100.

I have one that isn't in production any more (Keymaze 500 Hike). It's great only cost about £60 in the sale; has a barometric altimeter, doesn't lose signal etc. It's much better than my old Forerunner 201 and about as good functionally as my old 305 that I picked up second hand. My tracks when I upload to Strava are just as good as my mates tracks from club training and fell races and some of them have very expensive Garmins - like the Fenix etc.....

I don't know much about the new Geonaute models but I'd have one.