Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahtoola Microspikes

Kahtoola Microspikes

Just got a pair of these to go in my bag for winter training on the fells. Anyone got any experience of using them and if so how good are they?

Super Moderator
    Great fun for what they are but they're not full blown crampons
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Well in icy conditions they make an incredible difference. You can actually run on sheet ice. Given that most people's running will be largely on trails, they are much more useful than crampons, which arguably you only really need if you're expecting ice walls

Best thing since unsliced bread came back.

Give a you new life on Helvelynn ice, Gannett's communal guano and, not least, barnacles and algae when jumping onto sea stacs.

Don't know how we ever managed before Kahtoolas.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

Will, do you use the microspikes or the nanospikes. the latter appear to be designed for running. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Just got a pair of these to go in my bag for winter training on the fells. Anyone got any experience of using them and if so how good are they?

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post

Brilliant. Used em' for the last 5 winters (same pair).......Kong Adventure(Keswick ,old PlanetFear shop) stock an alternative - lighter, more packable so I'm upgrading this year.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Will, do you use the microspikes or the nanospikes. the latter appear to be designed for running. thanks
    Got the microspikes. The nanospikes look good for running on slippery pavements but the microspikes look more suited to the mountains.

I appreciate that they are not crampons but I don't plan on doing anything dangerous enough to require crampons. (I hope)

Apologies for butting into your Forum Huw, just got an alert via Google about your posting and thought I might be able to add some useful info..?

The new Kahtoola Microspikes 16 have a number of improvements, which will benefit runners. They feature a lower profile elastomer harness, patent pending eyelet reinforcements and integrated toe bale. They also include welded chains, and continue to boast complete stainless steel construction for all metal components. Along with an elastomer harness with 50% less bulk, all of these improvements have resulted in a 13% total weight reduction over the previous Microspike Quad version. They also come with a storage bag and 2 year manufacturers warranty.

I know weight is a big issue when Fell Running, so thought this info might be useful. Happy to extend 10% discount to any FRA Forum members who want to order from us before Xmas using discount code: FRAandTRA at http://www.icegripper.co.uk/news/kah...trail-runners/

We are an authorised Kahtoola dealer and have been selling their products for more than 5 years now. Always happy to answer any q's. Walk, work, run and play on winter ice and snow with ICEGRIPPER.

You feel the added weight on yer foot,BUT grips like you know what to a blanket.
    Dropping down off Nab hill (Yorkshireman) back to Oxnop is steep at the top and with sheet ice and a bfb wearing them, not a hint of a slip.
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

As said, they are really good. I have even used them to run on icy pavements.