Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gloves Advice

Gloves Advice

Hi I have been looking for a pair of winter gloves for fell running - would like one pair to rule them all, but does not really work. I have a general running pair - good for most conditions, but looking for something for the cold/windy and potentially wet days, did have some seal skins, but turn into 2 sponges when it rains.

does anyone have any recommendations?
    thanks

I feel the cold ( & wet ) very keenly. Looking at the state of my hands in the slightest chill, I guess I'm developing Reynards Disease.
    For the past few weeks of wet weather, I've been using 2.5mm neoprene wet suit gloves, £9.99 from TWF (The Wetsuit Factory), when out cycling. I'm working on the theory that my hands will be damp but warm. They have kept my hands more than warm. However, despite the wet drawing heat out of one, the ambient temperatures have not been all that low. Members of our mid-week cycling group tell me that they have not found them to be very effective when the ambient temperature plunges ..... I'm waiting to see, one way or the other.
    Waterproofing gloves is very difficult due to the complexity of the seams. Even very expensive, heavy duty winter mountaineering gloves will fail in a short period. Planet-X are offering "lobster claw" mitts/gloves ( simpler seams) with a waterproof membrane for £14.99.
    The other option is simple waterproof ( Gore-Tex or similar ) overmitts, over your regular (thermal insulating) gloves. Problem with straightforward mitts (for me) is their clumsiness for operating bike controls.

Also see http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...erproof-gloves

& http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...proof-Overmitt

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan41 View Post
    Hi I have been looking for a pair of winter gloves for fell running - would like one pair to rule them all, but does not really work. I have a general running pair - good for most conditions, but looking for something for the cold/windy and potentially wet days, did have some seal skins, but turn into 2 sponges when it rains.

does anyone have any recommendations?
    thanks
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 05-12-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I feel the cold ( & wet ) very keenly. Looking at the state of my hands in the slightest chill, I guess I'm developing Reynards Disease.
    For the past few weeks of wet weather, I've been using 2.5mm neoprene wet suit gloves, £9.99 from TWF (The Wetsuit Factory), when out cycling. I'm working on the theory that my hands will be damp but warm. They have kept my hands more than warm. However, despite the wet drawing heat out of one, the ambient temperatures have not been all that low. Members of our mid-week cycling group tell me that they have not found them to be very effective when the ambient temperature plunges ..... I'm waiting to see, one way or the other.
    Waterproofing gloves is very difficult due to the complexity of the seams. Even very expensive, heavy duty winter mountaineering gloves will fail in a short period. Planet-X are offering "lobster claw" mitts/gloves ( simpler seams) with a waterproof membrane for £14.99.
    The other option is simple waterproof ( Gore-Tex or similar ) overmitts, over your regular (thermal insulating) gloves. Problem with straightforward mitts (for me) is their clumsiness for operating bike controls.

Also see http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...erproof-gloves

& http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...proof-Overmitt

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners.
    When it's wet I put some cut down marigolds underneath some warm gloves. Keeps my hands dry, which is half the battle. When dry I use merino wool liner gloves under my warmer, outer, pair. These 2 combinations work for me. And marigolds are as cheap as chips!

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    I

When it's wet I put some cut down marigolds underneath some warm gloves. Keeps my hands dry, which is half the battle. When dry I use merino wool liner gloves under my warmer, outer, pair. These 2 combinations work for me. And marigolds are as cheap as chips!
    On a similar note I use the free plastic gloves at the garage for us diesel drivers.
    The same principles apply for feet too. A freezer bag between shoes and neoprene overshoes keep you're feet nice and warm. The only time I spent serious cash on waterproof gloves and overshoes I fell off on ice first time out and ruined both!

very useful thanks, best to keep it cheap and just replace more often!

Buffalo mitts - amazingly warm. Then maybe marigolds inside if it's wet? I've used mine in nigh-on blizzard conditions a few years ago and they really did the trick.

I'm a fan of nike thermal gloves, they seem to keep warm even when wet from sweat - and when it's windy and subzero I put some thin windproof over mitts over the top - toasty.

don't bother with the Sealskins. My experience hasn't been good.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    don't bother with the Sealskins. My experience hasn't been good.
    Seconded, not waterproof after a couple of outings and no insulation properties. Over priced.

I use aldi winter cycling gloves ok for a fiver.

I bought a par of The North Face Runners 3 Overmits.

They pack tiny and can be worn over standard liner gloves.

They claim to be waterproof and weren't cheap.

I wore them on WInter Hill in briefly wet conditons and they performed well.
    I wore them last Monday in horrific conditions on Kinder and they were uselessly sodden within 10 minutes.

I'm going to soak them in Nikwax and see how they cope after that