Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gloves Advice

I use sealskins sea leopard gloves which are great and waterproof although I haven't tried them in several hours of heavy rain where most fail tbh. Also these like most get sweaty, so we're back to the warm but wet argument. Haven't tried marigolds but have considered it ....

Master
    The trouble with waterproof gloves is the huge hole at one end ...

I suffer horrendously from cold hands and after years of winter-cycling, cyclocross, ice-climbing & sailing etc, I find neoprene is usually the only way to go (not strictly true for ice climbing/altitude climbing..). I have thin neoprene liner gloves from Rooster Sailing for chilly conditions, and then thicker winter-dinghy sailing neoprene gloves from Gill for when it really gets cold. Ancient Patagonia ice-climbing gloves for survival conditions...
    gave up on Sealskinz pretty quickly too,

The problem with most gloves is that they have windproof/wind resistant material only in the outer part of the glove and the palm which is usually covered only with fleece, gets cold very easily.

There's a lot to be said for a pair of meraklon 'thinny' gloves (dry rapidly, warm when sopping wet) teamed with a pair of Buffalo mitts (dry rapidly, warm when wet...). Every pair of gloves I have had gets wet in the end, it's just a are of when and how warm you stay when they do!

b

I suffer with Reynauds too, but I find if I can keep my wrists warm, my hands stay warm too. For running, a thin pair of cotton (Asics) or no brand merino liner gloves normally work fine, and if it is very cold an old pair of wool socks chopped up to make wrist warmers works great.

Cycling or standing around in the cold are a totally different matter though. Good WindStopper (Mountain Equipment Super Alpine) or cross-country skiing (old Swix gloves off eBay) are just about enough.

sealskin=soggy.

Tried 2 pairs, utter tripe for the price.
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

sleeve1.jpg With the wrists exposed like this your hands will not get warm whatever gloves you wear

I keep my hands inside the sleeves and never feel the need to wear gloves.
    sleeve2.jpg

These....

https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/acc...es/prism-glove

with these over the top if really cold and its getting wet:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mitts/

WARNING: You do need OVERSIZED Buffalo mitts though.

Buffalo mitts on their own can be horrendous if you have even slightly damp hands, as the pile inside adheres to your fingers and you're left completely stuffed - mitts with fingers in up to the knuckles on one mitt (Herculean effort even to get the mitt that far on) and then no way to get the other mitt on even as far as your knuckles due to the pertex outer on the mitts being so very slippy and because your already partially mitted hand is a load of useless flapping material by that stage. I adore Buffalo gear but really....grrrh....I've been left howling in abject incandescent fury in very dire conditions trying to struggle with these mitts. However, they are great for slipping over other gloves though if the gloves have a slippy pertex like covering and when on properly will keep your hands warm even if wet. They dry out super quick too.
    Am Yisrael Chai

The problem with Prism gloves is that the have no grip at the palm.