Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gloves Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros76 View Post
    The problem with Prism gloves is that the have no grip at the palm.
    Yes, that's because they're RUNNING gloves, not gardening gloves or climbing gloves or biking gloves or horse-riding gloves or....They're designed to be lightweight, very packable with a high weight to warmth ratio. Buffalo mitts also have no grip in their palms - they're not designed for gardening either.

Indeed, as you also complained above "The problem with most gloves is that they have windproof/wind resistant material only in the outer part of the glove and the palm which is usually covered only with fleece, gets cold very easily". However, prism gloves do have insulation in their palms too to stop them from "getting cold very easily".
    Am Yisrael Chai

It depends, i need some grip in palm because i use handheld bottle for hydration. If for example i use polartec powerstretch gloves, the bottle slips very easily from my palm.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Attachment 8337 With the wrists exposed like this your hands will not get warm whatever gloves you wear

I keep my hands inside the sleeves and never feel the need to wear gloves.
    Attachment 8338
    I'm a big fan of the old sleeve trick as well, I have a particularly stretchy long sleeved under vest that I pull down and bunch in my hands, although I'm lucky as not a big one for cold hands(must be down to kayaking) if I do wear gloves tends to be a pair of them Nike wool jobbies all the footie players wear ( I got em in the sale )

It depends, i need some grip in palm because i use handheld bottle for hydration. If for example i use polartec powerstretch gloves, the bottle slips very easily from my palm.
    I can see how that could be problematic with some gloves. If its a handheld bottle typical of the sort roadrunners often use (ahem.... ), then maybe the problem could be solved by wrapping something with texture around the slippy plastic handle, such as tightly wound string or cord, etc. For me, I think running holding onto a container full of cold water would cause my hand(s) to chill. Maybe invest in a different hydration system which allows your hands to remain free and not clasped could be the answer?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Grippy powerstretch http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/acc...tch-grip-glove

Thanks, i know about these gloves but i have stopped using powerstretch because they are not windproof at all.

I wear a pair of merino glove liners, one size, very stretchy. £10. Find they keep my hands warm in most conditions as long . As I have them on before my hands get cold.
    I also suffer from " dead man's fingers" and toes now. Only affects me about 20 mins after stopping running though then lasts for about an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Attachment 8337 With the wrists exposed like this your hands will not get warm whatever gloves you wear

I keep my hands inside the sleeves and never feel the need to wear gloves.
    Attachment 8338
    I find this works too unless it is really cold. When it is really cold I've started using these wrist gaiters under a glove which keep the back of the hand warm and works well.

http://marmot.com/products/details/stretch-wrist-gaiter
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

I have a pair of Trekmates mountain xt 'ion mask' gloves, a couple of years old

closest thing I can see on sale is:
    http://www.trekmates.co.uk/dry-codale-gloves-mens £20
    they are not waterproof, but will hold water - you could use them as a water carrier, inversely.
    They have some kind of membrane in them

I wore them on last years rather wet Edale Skyline, all the way round. Yes, they got wet, but I didn't get cold
    A 10-mile snowbound Shutlingslow-Cat+Fiddle-Shining tor round yesterday was fine too.
    They're now my go-to glove for the worst

I'd buy them again
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

I've got a bag of about 10 different pairs of gloves that I dip into as circumstances merit, but one thing that is consistent - if you can live with the reduced dexterity mitts are warmer than gloves - less surface area to lose heat from.

And the ones I keep coming back to are the Montane Prism Mitts. They're extremely light (46g), very warm and they keep that warmth when wet. I've taken them out in 60mph wind driven rain for several hours at a time and they've kept me warm. Neither they - nor the slightly less warm Prism glove (which I also use regularly) look like they'll stand up to loads of abrasion/scrambling - the downside of a pertex outer. But for running I don't find that a major issue. I've got Montane Extreme mitts for scrambling. But the Prism's are what get taken out whenever it's cold and I'm out for a run.