Thread: Suunto Ambit 3 Peak

Suunto Ambit 3 Peak

Just got Mrs tfg a new Suunto Ambit 3 Peak. Blimey its complicated!!!...or at least complex! Just a quick question. For a person that is, at this point, doing a bit of off-road running and hiking plus, a bit of cycling and swimming, what are the basics she will require to know/understand and what apps are useful to add. Cheers in advance!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Just got Mrs tfg a new Suunto Ambit 3 Peak. Blimey its complicated!!!...or at least complex! Just a quick question. For a person that is, at this point, doing a bit of off-road running and hiking plus, a bit of cycling and swimming, what are the basics she will require to know/understand and what apps are useful to add. Cheers in advance!!
    Top right button, followed by mid right takes you to starting a run by pressing mid right again. Top right followed by mid right by a scroll takes you to cycling and other modes you can add. When a GPS signal is located you press top right to start. To pause it's top right, un pause same again. To stop and save press and hold top right for about 2 seconds. Beeps
    When you are running or cycling you press the mid right button to scroll through different data displays. I.e pace, altitude, time , lap average Etc etc. there are lots of screens (not sure on max but at least 4 I think) of data that you can scroll through whilst running and display. Each screen can have 3 data items on e.g I tend to use, top of screen (small digits ) as elapsed time, middle (large digits) as pace , and bottom (small) as average pace.(the bottom one can also have another data item that is scrolled with the bottom left button). These are all configured by paring your watch to a computer that has Movescount on it. When it is pared you can directly alter these screen display settings and upload apps.

The single thing that confused me the most is how to use the apps. I'll try to explain. Firstly you select one from the list and chose add these. That puts it in the same place where you alter the display screens. So instead of selecting a unit type I.e time, pace , lap you select the app. So an intervals app will show up on the bottom of the screen (or wherever you put it) with the relevant info I.e countdown of meters to run hard followed by meters to run easy. The other 2 data items would be selected by you to make it easier to understand your effort level I,e pace or, average lap pace (good if running near trees or tall buildings).
    To cancel recording and not save press pause , top right, followed by top left then follow the instructions. Light is bottom right pressed quick, button lock is bottom right held for 2 secs.
    I don't use mine for cycling much, but the apps all work in a similar way. Not much use for swimming, well indoors anyway.
    Hope this helps, it is a bit tricky at first, but the basic functions are all on the watch ready to go and run with, metaphorically and literally. You soon get used to the basic functions, then just Taylor them and add the apps in Movescount, and add routes for a basic navigation system etc.
    Oh, and IMO intervals are the most useful apps for running. 400m 800m etc. You can also Taylor one in detail, in Movescount that's already on the watch.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 08-12-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Cheers for that AlanL. I'll take a copy and have a run through with Karen. Looks a brilliant bit of kit if you can utilise it all!!

No problem. They are very good. Better than any bling watch.
    The basic functions are quite easy to navigate through. Once you get used to them you will just pick the rest up from referring back to the online manual occasionally. She's a lucky lady, I've only got an Ambit 3 run, but it's easily good enough for me.

Its great piece of kit.super reliable.strap is much more flexible and comfortable than ambit and ambit 2 models. Once you know how to change all settings its fantastic.type your questions on google and it will redirect you to suunto support center users Q&As section thats how i learnt most of the settings and how tos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambit View Post
    Its great piece of kit.super reliable.strap is much more flexible and comfortable than ambit and ambit 2 models. Once you know how to change all settings its fantastic.type your questions on google and it will redirect you to suunto support center users Q&As section thats how i learnt most of the settings and how tos.
    Ah! Thats useful to know. I'll inform her when we both get home. At present I'm at work and she is stuck out in the uloo, somewhere between Caton and Ingleton, trying to avoid floods to get home after an evening at friends near Keswick!

One thing to remember is that you need t'interweb to access Movescount and upload or download data including routes (if it's the same as the Ambit 2 anyway....).

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bloke View Post
    One thing to remember is that you need t'interweb to access Movescount and upload or download data including routes (if it's the same as the Ambit 2 anyway....).
    Thats correct, i think the only difference is the Ambit 3 uses Bluetooth to do it. I think the 2 had to be connected via a USB lead. You only need to use the lead to perform updates and charge it on the 3. Provided you have a bluetooth enabled device connected to the net of course.