Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flood appeal fell race

Flood appeal fell race

The Whinberry Naze Dash flood appeal fell race.
    This popular Boxing Day race will be a fundraiser for the Cumbria and Lancashire flood appeal

The club ( Rossendale Harriers ) will foot the bill for prizes or any other expenses incurred in putting on the race so that every penny raised in entry fees or donations will go to the flood appeal.

The entry fee may be slightly higher than as originally advertised but I'm sure that everyone will be ok with that.

It's also been decided that profits from the recent Lee Mill Relays organised by club member Richard Stott will also be donated to the appeal. ( Many thanks to Richard )

As yet it hasn't been decided just where the money raised will go but we are keen to support local communities hard hit by the flooding. We will be carefully looking into this but if anyone has any thoughts or ideas please let us know

Graham Wright
    Chairman
    Rossendale Harriers

Well done Rossendale Harriers, a superb sentiment.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

Well done Rossendale. I'll be there & I've encouraged club members to come along too - looking forward to my Smarties! ;-)
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

We have been looking into just where any money raised will go. We would like there to be some connection with Fellrunning if possible ( it will be fellrunners who have contributed ) and would like some say in just where the money is spent along with a possible legacy for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    We have been looking into just where any money raised will go. We would like there to be some connection with Fellrunning if possible ( it will be fellrunners who have contributed ) and would like some say in just where the money is spent along with a possible legacy for the sport.
    If there have been any bridges / river crossings that have been damaged on the Bob Graham route then maybe donations could be sent to help repair one of those. A suitable plaque attached to said bridge would remind everyone of the floods and the fellrunners who donated to help rebuild it.
    It's an idea although I've not been to the Lakes since the floods so I'm not sure what needs rebuidling.
    Happy to pay extra race entry fee as long as I get my smarties at the top.
    See you on the 26th.
    See the light in the night

Great to see this. Will see you all there!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'm not sure if donating to appeal funds such as this can have any conditions attached, I've never heard of it. Maybe just donate the money and let it be known that it's been raised by fell runners. I think money going in to the general pot would be better received than something along the lines of "here's some cash could you use it for something that helps the donators".

Mapper: I think the only damaged bridge that is on the BG is the one in to Fitz Park but this can be avoided by heading along Station Road and along Briar Rigg from that end. I've seen comments about the bridge on the road from Threlked to Newsham House being damaged but don't know of it's condition. The bigger concern is the A591 just north of Dunmail Raise as the damage here currently prevents support parties getting easily from Threlkeld to DR.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I know the community in and around Appleby-in-Westmorland has been hit over and over again since Desmond. One of the farmers we know at Bolton Mill was so badly flooded even the ducks drowned and they lost almost everything, the horses survived but were in up to their necks. One of the problems is getting back up on your feet in the meantime between the event and the insurance assesors making things happen. It seems people in this type of situation find it very useful to be able to get their hands on the bare basics, such as a second hand washer/dryer, cast offs of any working appliances and hardware. Any organisations working to help in the short term would be well worth supporting, as things stand it's still raining every day up there and the need is perpetually basic and short term. Storm Eva is on its way and the weather shows no signs of letting up.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Bring the full kit please just in case.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and ideas. We have done a fair amount of research, looked at the various appeals that have been set up, spoken to our friends in Cumbria and Lancashire who have been affected or have been involved with flood relief , spoken to Parish Councillors and trustees from various charities affected.So there are quite a few options as to where the money raised will go and it may be that it's split between various appeals.
    We already have £1000.00 from the Lee Mill Relays and with a good turnout tomorrow we may be able to raise a similar amount so many thanks to everyone who has contributed. When we have finalised just where the money raised will go we will let everyone know.