Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giant's Tooth 2016

Just so as you know
    "The story of the Giants Tooth.
    Giants as everybody knows are quiet shy creatures who wouldn’t say “boo” to a goose and are rarely ever seen. But there was one giant who was not so quiet and shy and kept making a terrible nuisance of himself. His name was OGDEN.
    Ogden kept moaning, groaning and shouting at people. He would kick down trees, throw stones at the ducks and dam up the streams with his feet. In fact he was not nice at all.
    After a while the ranger became very annoyed with Ogden and had to ask the chief giant to tell Ogden to behave. The chief giant was big, old and wise and lived in a cave in Denholme. His name was Dennis.
    “What’s up wi tha Ogden” Dennis said.
    “Go away Dennis” said Ogden. “Leave me alone”
    “What gives Ogden, yer giving us bigguns a bad name” said Dennis.
    “O its mi teeth, the’re aching something rotten” said Ogden and with that he opened up his big mouth to give a wide grin.
    “Tha’s only got one tooth” said Dennis laughing.”You want to have that out”
    “It won’t come out” said Ogden. “I’ve tried everything, I’ve bashed it on the rangers Land Rover, picked it with a tree, but I can’t shift it and it does hurt”
    Dennis thought long and hard “I’ve an idea” he said.
    Dennis nipped off home and came back with a length of rope. He fastened one end round Ogdens tooth and the other end onto one of the windmill sails, at the top of the hill.
    Ogden braced himself and held on to the hillside. Round and round went the sails of the windmills, helped by Dennis who blew at it with all his might. Faster and faster they turned until with a loud pop closely followed by even louder scream from Ogden out came the tooth. It sailed high into the sky and came down to earth with a crash into the hillside.
    Nowadays Ogden is rarely seen. He is very quiet and well behaved, and to tell the truth if it were not for the odd snore on a hot summers day you would never know he was there.
    Still if you don’t actually see Ogden on your visit his tooth is still to be seen, just where it landed on the top of the hill".

Manonthemoors thank you for the story.

Oddly hypnotic viewing. Well done Matt Fielding.

"Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Banned
    Great video.
    Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't he have turned right at 13.46 mins up that path?
    I have done the race a few times and never crossed that bridge.
    Excellent to go through the route faster than I've ever run it. Thanks Matt.

They did say some tape had been removed around that area.
    Last edited by Stagger; 03-01-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Some little @@@@ moved tape from about a mile of the route, was fully marked 3pm new years day (did it straight after marshalling Auld Lang Syne!!). I didn't check it on the day but didn't expect anuthing to have gone missing!! The course was marked for the 2015 race at the same time and had no issues.

Thankfully, I don't think it really changed any results but course was approx 2.6miles, not 3, so yes, he should have turned right as you state above!!

Banned
    Cheers biara. Caren said tap had been removed.
    It's a nice route to run on my way home from Keighley so I was just checking.
    Excellent race and thankyou again.

Cheating barstewards. You should DQ 'em all Ian. Right down to about 45th place.

Biara, heads up, you may be in for a spot of bother...Ogden/Calderdale a bit miffed.

Hi all,

This was my first Fell runner ever [start small and all that jazz]

I really enjoyed it and came 50th - I stupidly started at the very back. A brilliant route and didnt help my hangover one bit. Great people and good atmosphere! Well done with the organising

Quote Originally Posted by rileforce View Post
    Hi all,

This was my first Fell runner ever [start small and all that jazz]

I really enjoyed it and came 50th - I stupidly started at the very back. A brilliant route and didnt help my hangover one bit. Great people and good atmosphere! Well done with the organising
    Really glad you enjoyed it rile-force .Sometimes starting at the back makes for a more relaxed pace and gives you the chance to overtake later in the race plus you won't get trampled on if you fall up near the front....have a look for Dave Woodhead,s races (Woodentops is the website) at Haworth slightly longer ,but very good fun ��