Thread: One Kidney

One Kidney

I am looking for advice. I am just starting to run again after an op to remove one of my Kidneys. Feeling great and keen to get back into training. Would appreciate some advice on do's and don't s. Had raced up to about 28 miles in past but aware that may not be achievable now. Thank you for your help

Our mid-week cycling group includes an 83 year-old who has been functioning on one kidney for 50 years. He tends to "back off a bit" during the winter months; but in summer he is always up for a 60 - 70 miler at 13's - 14's.

Quote Originally Posted by happymuddy View Post
    I am looking for advice. I am just starting to run again after an op to remove one of my Kidneys. Feeling great and keen to get back into training. Would appreciate some advice on do's and don't s. Had raced up to about 28 miles in past but aware that may not be achievable now. Thank you for your help
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 13-01-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

My mate had one removed in his mid-late 20's. He kind of complains a bit of fatigue, being 'up and down', but genenerally he does what he's always done tbh. Though he never competed etc he still has always ran a reasonable amount, cycled a decent amount and continued to do all his gym work etc. Good luck, I guess its a case of feeling your way.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Thank you both for replying. If I can manage 70 mile road cycles in my 80's I will be well chuffed. Getting used to random tiredness but with a few wee 4 mile hill runs under my belt I am relishing getting muddy again.