Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An observation

Master

An observation

During the last few weeks of challenging weather I have noticed a significantly higher number of female runners out on the hills in whatever nature has thrown at us, highest count being 8 females to 1 male on a 90 minute jaunt during the desmond onslaught.

So is there now statistically more female hill runners than men? if that is the case then the increase has been fast as there were plenty of blokes before the winter kicked in with it`s dark wet windy mornings and nights.
    Last edited by JohnK; 22-12-2015 at 10:01 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Intriguing. Are lads nesh up your way?

Master
    I didn`t think so and the race results wouldn`t suggest they are, however given the training women are doing here the results could well change.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I think there's a difference between running and racing. Around here women make up 10-20% of the field in races and I imagine that's probably typical. There's no way of measuring the gender balance of people who run on the hills and don't race, but I suspect that more women run than race.
    The question is how do we encourage them to race?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    Or should we. Is it a more male thing to try to compete against each other? Maybe men should be encouraged to do more social running?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    I think there's a difference between running and racing. Around here women make up 10-20% of the field in races and I imagine that's probably typical. There's no way of measuring the gender balance of people who run on the hills and don't race, but I suspect that more women run than race.
    It might be contentious. But how about a female only race?

Certainly works for some events http://www.greatrun.org/great-womens-10k

As an aside, about 65%-70% of tghe runners I encounter through events are female. Although the motivation for these runners is definately not something you want to replicate.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    It might be contentious. But how about a female only race?

Certainly works for some events http://www.greatrun.org/great-womens-10k

As an aside, about 65%-70% of tghe runners I encounter through events are female. Although the motivation for these runners is definately not something you want to replicate.
    Shaunaneto Ladies only , Lesbians , asylum seekers, Gay Men , veterans ,refugees, black /white ,this religion that religion where will it all end next thing yer know they will be having races for VEGANS only.
    Discrimination has no place in sport .

Quote Originally Posted by B.Bill. View Post
    Shaunaneto Ladies only , Lesbians , asylum seekers, Gay Men , veterans ,refugees, black /white ,this religion that religion where will it all end next thing yer know they will be having races for VEGANS only.
    Discrimination has no place in sport .
    Excellent. You'll be actively campaigning to disband age groupings at races then.

Those sneaky 72 year olds are basically cheating.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Excellent. You'll be actively campaigning to disband age groupings at races then.

Those sneaky 72 year olds are basically cheating.
    No problems with age groupings .I am all for people being able to participate together regardless of age, gender ,sexuality or cult following be it religious , vegan whatever .

During our recent Lee Mill relays which was held in atrocious weather conditions where several people ended up hypothermic I was struck by the fact that it was the women who seemed to return unscathed and undaunted by their ordeal compared to some of the men in the race.