Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Express 310XT?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Do these gadgets record accurately "fell" runs?
    They're better than a piece string.

To be honest, I assume an degree of inaccuracy with any method of recording distance/ascent. I'm not actually worried by being a few percent out so long as it maintains the same average degree of inaccuracy then it still gives me an effective measuring stick.

Mobile phones are the worst, I've trialled two different apps on two phones and they produced the biggest variations. Strava in particular overestimated every run and ride. Although much may depend on quality of the phones GPS and any settings within.
    pies

IMHO there was no practical advantage at all in going "wireless" over hard wire. All it does is introduce an unnecessary area for vulnerability: but there we are.
    Anecdotal but...

I used to have a 310xt, and getting data uploaded was a pain in the ass. Now have a FR225 and it's absolutely seamless, albeit it needed a software update to get there.

Not sure whether the wireless problem is a reflection on the 310XT or if I'm just luck with the FR225.
    pies

Super Moderator
    I have a tiny brass wheel our youth brought me, which you roll over a map. It's ace, especially when you turn it round half way round your route and you end up at zero
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I have a tiny brass wheel our youth brought me, which you roll over a map. It's ace, especially when you turn it round half way round your route and you end up at zero
    Oh!

And there was me thinking you would have a unique, up-to-the-minute, super sophisticated piece of high tech gizmo the size of a pin head that transmits the data directly to your brain and was specially made for you by Apple, NASA and Rolex.

Are you still running fell races in plimsolls?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Mudclaws. When you've paid for them there's no brass left for fancy watches
    Poacher turned game-keeper

And there was me thinking you would have a unique, up-to-the-minute, super sophisticated piece of high tech gizmo the size of a pin head that transmits the data directly to your brain and was specially made for you by Apple, NASA and Rolex.
    You're thinking of Stolly
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    You're thinking of Stolly
    Yep! I often think of Stolly-Dogs-Photos-Dogs-More Dogs-Photos-Same Dogs- More Pictures-Stolly with Dogs-Dogs without Stolly...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

used Garmin Express for a while with the 310 I think initially might been a bit of messing about but it has been great for th elat couple of years definitely with persevering with

Alexandra - have our resolved the problem? There are a number of bugs in uploading from a 310xt to GE, each of which has a slightly different solution - I think my 310 has had most of them!! If its still not working, describe exactly what happens and what messages you are getting and there will undoubtedly be a workaround! NSMOAF's "download all" is one of those!

Incidentally, if you want more accurate ascent data than Garmin gives, then save your Garmin trace as a GPX file and upload it onto an OS based piece of software. "The Hug" does this perfectly well and is free....

I think that there are some problems with the watch itself that might mean a full solution is unlikely to be found to make the transfer smooth. After lots of problems with the Garmin software I got fed up and just stopped using it. Having a decent grasp of computers, I installed the open source drivers and a command line programme for linux and have used that ever since on my linux machines. (I know this is not a good solution for most people!) The most frustrating thing for me was that the Garmin programmes never told you what was actually going on and recent upgrades gave you even less information so that when it didn't work there was very little information on how to fix it!

The command line programme is more work but at least there is more clarity and when things don't work you can understand what is causing the problem. For example, I have found that the watch has a habit of sporadically renaming all the files to the same date, meaning that all files have to be transferred again. This is probably one of the bugs that the "download all" trick solves. It also has a habit of creating empty files or corrupted files that are difficult to transfer.

I won't bore you with any more. I just wanted to say that while GE is far from perfect I think we're lumbered with a watch that has its own quirks that new software updates from Garmin won't solve.