Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immobilisation of a joint

Immobilisation of a joint

As I have said on the Gargrave thread, I took a tumble and had to get my knee patched up with temporary stitches and a dressing that restricts its movement. The senior nurse I saw said I had to keep the leg perfectly straight for at least 48 hours minimum. I said won’t this loose flexibility, and she said yes, but if it is allowed to bend, the cut will never heal. I just wondered if anybody knew from experience (or otherwise) how long I should expect it to take to get full movement back in the leg? In the past I have had it immobilised for 8 weeks (broken leg) and 6 weeks (damaged medial meniscus) and it took a good few weeks to get back full motion again.

I just wondered how long it would take after just a few days of no movement. It already seems to have stiffened up quite a bit. I also remember reading once, that even after 8 hours of no activity, the body will decide it obviously doesn’t need a joint, so it will shut it down.

Master and MR

Re: Immobilisation of a joint

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    As I have said on the Gargrave thread, I took a tumble and had to get my knee patched up with temporary stitches and a dressing that restricts its movement. The senior nurse I saw said I had to keep the leg perfectly straight for at least 48 hours minimum. I said won’t this loose flexibility, and she said yes, but if it is allowed to bend, the cut will never heal. I just wondered if anybody knew from experience (or otherwise) how long I should expect it to take to get full movement back in the leg? In the past I have had it immobilised for 8 weeks (broken leg) and 6 weeks (damaged medial meniscus) and it took a good few weeks to get back full motion again.

I just wondered how long it would take after just a few days of no movement. It already seems to have stiffened up quite a bit. I also remember reading once, that even after 8 hours of no activity, the body will decide it obviously doesn’t need a joint, so it will shut it down.

normally stitches are okay after a week AG so i would give it a week

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    A week....I was only thinking 3 days

I'm not too bothered about the cut, it's getting the flexibility back in the leg after it's been out of action that is the main concern.

Chris

How's Siobhan going to put up with him for a week?

Master and MR

A week....I was only thinking 3 days

I'm not too bothered about the cut, it's getting the flexibility back in the leg after it's been out of action that is the main concern.
    if the stitches are in an awkward area , ie they get strained when you move the joint then 3 days no way , the stitches just keep the wound closed , the wound needs to re heal and hold
    so leave it a week or you will be off longer , hard but neccesary

Burnsal is on Saturday, and I want to test it the day before....so thats 5 days max I guess! Anyway...fell runner amounts of time are always less than 'civvy' amounts of time!

(just read another chapter of Graeme Obree's book so I'm in a stubborn mood )

if the stitches are in an awkward area , ie they get strained when you move the joint then 3 days no way , the stitches just keep the wound closed , the wound needs to re heal and hold
    so leave it a week or you will be off longer , hard but neccesary

Burnsal is on Saturday, and I want to test it the day before....so thats 5 days max I guess! Anyway...fell runner amounts of time are always less than 'civvy' amounts of time!

(just read another chapter of Graeme Obree's book so I'm in a stubborn mood )
    I fell and banged my knee in january. It seemed like nothing at the time. Did the Northern XC and PBR in the following days. Had a couple of "comebacks", but basically still out.

Don't want to be negative, but beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    I fell and banged my knee in january. It seemed like nothing at the time. Did the Northern XC and PBR in the following days. Had a couple of "comebacks", but basically still out.

Don't want to be negative, but beware.
    What were the symptoms?

sorry to hear about your accident Gremlin: me legs gettin a bit better an a should be back to full trainin in a couple of weeks. Am hopin now just to get right for the xc s

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    sorry to hear about your accident Gremlin: me legs gettin a bit better an a should be back to full trainin in a couple of weeks. Am hopin now just to get right for the xc s
    Are you still running at all then? I'll give you a lift up to Burnsal if you want to come and watch?