Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conditions on tops?

Conditions on tops?

Evening all,

Thinking of popping over to the Lakes for a BG recce before an attempt in the summer.

Anyone any idea how runnable(!?) stages 1/2/3 would be at the moment? Forecast looks clear but I'm guessing there's a good chance of hard, deep snow still?

Any advice much appreciated!

Ta,

BB

the snow is still powdery in a lot of places. Last night around Blencathra area we were constantly going through the crust to almost our knees. Paths will be better as they have been well trampled but, as much of the BG is off path, you should be prepared to take at least an hour per leg longer than it would take in good conditions.
    Mind you, two years ago i trained for my BG throughout that terrible harsh winter, we even had a fresh dump at Easter, and I maintain it made me stronger than had it been a wet, snow free winter.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Cheers bestathlete. Forecast looks good so I think we're going to try Legs 1 & 2 at least, leaving an extra hour or so for each leg. Forecast looks good, but it's gonna be a chilly'un up there!

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar
    The Helvellyn range is likely to be very icy, with much of the snow blown off the top, so micro-spike crampons are a good idea/essential.
    Rigby Jerram

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    The Helvellyn range is likely to be very icy, with much of the snow blown off the top, so micro-spike crampons are a good idea/essential.
    I did leg1 recce yesterday and all was fine till I popped off skiddaw, frequently knee deep snow till I hit the skiddaw house path. Much the same on descent of Calva.

Hard going snow wise up path to blencathra too but it made for a grand day out, hardly saw a soul.

I got to threlkeld in 5.5hrs as the deep snow made things very slow

Mark

I have to endorse what Mark says. We were out on Leg 1 last weekend and heading down to Hare Crag it was very deep snow and hard going.

We did leg 2 the following day and things were generally OK, there was an icy crust on top of the snow that made it a bit tricky from Raise onwards but I didn't really feel the need for microspikes until Nethermost, from there it was just sheet ice and a bit dodgy.

The Dollywaggon descent was interesting in all that snow (the fence post has fallen down), but perfectly fine. Fairfield and Seat Sandal West faces were also OK. I imagine it will be even clearer this weekend.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Up on the High Street area and fells around Mardale Head yesterday. Lots of snow has gone - just patches left now. Still some icy areas though, particularly on paths where the snow has been compacted or in areas prone to freeze-thaw and run-off. Took Kahtoolas but didn't use them.
    Probably still wise to carry them if you are heading onto the higher fells.

coming off Skiddaw and off Calva yday was simply dreadful. So deep you struggled to walk downhill, never mind run. I was so far behind even a slow paced leg that I binned it and came out via Skiddaw House rather than take forever to get over Mungrisedale Common/Blen etc.
    Event Photography

Just typed out a lengthy reply and it didn't post...can't be arsed re-typing, so I'll just say our experiences matched a lot of yours from the weekend (and it was probably your footprints in the snow that made nava lot easier, so cheers for that!) The descent from Skiddaw and across the bog to the Cumbrian Way was pretty much unrunnable with the deep snow, same with the descent from Great Calva and up to Blencathra. Sapped the energy out of my legs pretty swiftly. Cracking fun, mind, and didn't see a soul between Skiddaw and Blencathra! The descent via Halls Fell was a bit sketchy in the mudclaws mind, would probably go for an alternative route in the same circumstances next time.

Second day was much better underfoot. Sheet ice between Raise and Dollywagon but nothing that can't be avoided with a bit of caution. Dollywagon descent was great fun, and the climb up Fairfield knackering but pretty much clear of snow. Didn't fancy the alternative route up Fairfield, still looked a bit dicey.

Overall, couldn't have asked for better weather over the weekend. A couple of stunning days in the Lakes! Cheers for your thoughts!

you want nowt with gong down Halls anyway - Summit to A66 via Doddick took me 25 mins in the dark on my round and I am an average-at-best descender.
    Snow now turning to slush - wet feet last night coming down via Scales Fell
    Event Photography