Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Spine 2016

The Spine 2016

The Spine (260-odd miles Edale-Yetholm in 7 days) and Spine Challenger (108 miles Edale - Hawes in 60h) - the latter including a Mountain Rescue team fundraising challenge - kicks off Saturday morning. 7am for the Spine Challenger, 10am for the Spine proper.

FOr all you dot-watching fiends there is of course tracking available

Website is here: http://thespinerace.com
    Last edited by ba-ba; 06-01-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Super Moderator
    Thanks for the reminder Nic. Very best of luck to anyone doing the full, or the Edale - Hawes fun run
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Nic. Very best of luck to anyone doing the full, or the Edale - Hawes fun run
    Very wet underfoot, I was on Kinder yesterday and Bleaklow today...sloppy is the best description I could come up with
    Good Luck to Tim (Cyclops other half) Glossop. Woodhead are too busy with the Trigger...That's my excuse

Went out to watch few people cross the Longdendale trail. Bumped in to 2 Oldham MRT guys waiting for their team-mates... 2 miles away from the actual road crossing!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Compulsive viewing. Some of the Challenge back markers are being over taken by full Spine competitors. Hopefully see some competitors when I am for my portly bog trot this afternoon.

Super Moderator
    I had a walk up Pin Haw from Lothersdale this afternoon with the dog. We saw several Spiners who all seemed to be going well, especially "Tim from Ambleside", who looked in very good nick on the full. A three mile walk (albeit on a short race route) was a useful microcosm of what is involved with this epic outing
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 10-01-2016 at 10:09 PM.

. A three mile walk (albeit on a short race route) was a useful microcosm of what is involved with this epic outing[/QUOTE]

That's like going to the toilet �� peeing on yer leg and saying " you have an idea of how captain Webb felt swimming the channel " ��

I had a walk up Pin Haw from Lothersdale this afternoon with the dog. We saw several Spiners who all seemed to be going well, especially "Tim from Ambleside", who looked in very good nick on the full. A three mile walk (albeit on a short race route) was a useful microcosm of what is involved with this epic outing

Exactly DT. I was on one of my local routes over Monk's moor this afternoon, dealing with relentless curtains of sleet and snow flurries all generously being hurled my way by a strong westerly wind. Looks like the leaders with be at the MIT check point in a few hours. At least this year they'll not have to deal with iced conditions of 2105 over Cauldron Snout.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    Even the Challenger is a hell of an event Mossy. Lord knows how you cope with those conditions for days. I wore wellies, which were perfect for my dog walk, but hardly suitable for a hundred mile bog trot!

Even the Challenger is a hell of an event Mossy. Lord knows how you cope with those conditions for days. I wore wellies, which were perfect for my dog walk, but hardly suitable for a hundred mile bog trot!
    Appears that the three leaders have settled for taking shelter @ the Tan Hill Inn - their first proper rest since Edale!

The next four in the main gig are bunked down in Hawes.

Andrew, Fleetfoot in Lancaster (later to become Reebok Wholesaling then asset stripped by Adidas), back in the 70's, imported New Balance from the USA and "Nokia Bog-Trotter" wellies from Finland. The latter only came up to mid calf with a couple of tensioning straps to stop them slipping off, plus steel dobs on the soles, as per pukka Scandinavian 'O' shoes. I think they may well have been suitable for current conditions.
    Our mutual friend Nippersmith of this parish called it a day @ around 09.00 Sunday a.m. at the road-x by Ponden reser; feeling extremely hypothermic and starting to stumble - couldn't risk the next fell section. Otherwise I would now have been heading for Fountains Fell with a flask of coffee and other sustenance.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 11-01-2016 at 01:11 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!