Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Spine 2016

I'm trying to come to terms with my first ever DNF on the Challenger this weekend. I aggravated what I thought was a niggle in my ankle I picked up on my last long run before the event. I suppose an event like that will expose all weaknesses. Right decision by me to hobble into the pub at Malham, no point risking anything. Looking forward to the start line next year. Hope others in the same boat as me are keeping chins up!!

Super Moderator
    Hard luck Jezzlar. Tough conditions over the weekend
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Jezzlar, I am in your boat and keeping my chin up, just. I will make use of any early bird discount that is offered for the Challenger 2017.

As Wheezing Donkey says, I withdrew at Ponden Reservoir. I was blown about Top Withins in a blizzard around 7 am Sunday, and by the time I got to Ponden my hands were too numb for me to get to my food. I thought it would be foolish to set off on an 8 mile stretch in this state.

This whole experience from Edale to my finish at Ponden was pretty epic. I was skipping across the moors from Hebden Bridge checkpoint at 4.30 am thinking "this is what I call playing out" one minute and tearing through a driving blizzard to get to shelter at Top Withins bothy what seemed like the next.. Not being able to get into the bothy sealed it for me.

Wheezing Donkey - thank you for your advice and support with my preparation for this event. I am only sorry I did not keep going and meet you further along the Way.

Sarah
    a rush and a push and the land is ours

Eoin Keith 1st finisher 95 hours 17 mins 18secs

What!!

Fantastic, makes those 100's in usa that they crow on about look like a tea party.
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

Quote Originally Posted by nippersmith View Post
    Jezzlar, I am in your boat and keeping my chin up, just. I will make use of any early bird discount that is offered for the Challenger 2017.

As Wheezing Donkey says, I withdrew at Ponden Reservoir. I was blown about Top Withins in a blizzard around 7 am Sunday, and by the time I got to Ponden my hands were too numb for me to get to my food. I thought it would be foolish to set off on an 8 mile stretch in this state.

This whole experience from Edale to my finish at Ponden was pretty epic. I was skipping across the moors from Hebden Bridge checkpoint at 4.30 am thinking "this is what I call playing out" one minute and tearing through a driving blizzard to get to shelter at Top Withins bothy what seemed like the next.. Not being able to get into the bothy sealed it for me.

Wheezing Donkey - thank you for your advice and support with my preparation for this event. I am only sorry I did not keep going and meet you further along the Way.

Sarah

The bothy at top withens is mentioned in several PW guides, but is sometimes locked. Don't know who looks after it, ranger service/bradford met?
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

What's the point of a bothy if it's locked? Madness. Too close to civilisation?

Following the spine is a great diversion at work, with special interest as a member of my club is heading north - Go Sarah Fuller. Eoin has had an amazing run and probably deserves a pint!

the weather got a bit epic, and the underfloor heating on the Pennine way needs replacing.
    Congrats to eoin for a superb finishing time on the full Dealio... very impressive.

at the risk of repeating myself, as I know a lot of those on here are a part of the fb group, here is a link to my race report for th Mountain rescue challenger event.
    http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....-mrt-2016.html

apologies as its a bit on the long side.

I was supporting Mark Dalton this weekend on the Spine and he told me a similar story about blizzard-like conditions at Top Withins. He also thought he couldn't get in at first as wasn't able to open the door, then somebody shouted something from inside like "push it harder". He did and got in. So it was open at this time (8am-ish Sunday), but the door was apparently really stiff.
    Last edited by Drunkeneuphoria; 13-01-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    the weather got a bit epic, and the underfloor heating on the Pennine way needs replacing.
    Congrats to eoin for a superb finishing time on the full Dealio... very impressive.

at the risk of repeating myself, as I know a lot of those on here are a part of the fb group, here is a link to my race report for th Mountain rescue challenger event.
    http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....-mrt-2016.html

apologies as its a bit on the long side.
    Huge thanks for posting and well done for accomplishing. That's a massive achievement. I really enjoyed reading your post and especially the heady mixture of total admiration but also schadenfreude it induced
    Am Yisrael Chai