Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good plan spine race

Master

Good plan spine race

Go Javed and enjoy the return trip http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...ennine-way-run
    The older I get the Faster I was

balls of steel!

Balls of steel or a sandwich short of a picnic - more power to him!
    GPS tracker here: http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/javadpennine16.cfm# Hopefully he passes nearby here at a time I can pop out!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

He's approaching Great Shunner Fell - I make that about 160 miles done on the homeward leg - immense!

Just approaching Hawes. I am just trying to contemplate the mental resove needed to run the Spine Race and turn round when everyone else is congratulating themselves and chilling out.

Master
    Outstanding show of mental and physical endurance IMO, a true inspiration what is the record for an out and back on the PW (if there is one, if there isn`t then Javed will get it).
    The weather overnight tonight and tomorrow morning will really test his mental resolve good luck Javed
    Last edited by JohnK; 21-01-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

It will be record anyway if he finishes as it is unlikely anyone has ever attempted it in winter. I was hut 2 Auchope on the Cheviots during the last night of the Spine as part of one of the safety teams, only Javed and one other racer were in good form at that stage, the others were in pieces at the very edge of their endurance. heaving through deep snow for 20 miles on the cheviots with hardly any sleep for almost a week had taken it's toll big style. We held them back, gave them hot drinks and food, soon running out of water so had to melt snow, until the medic was satisfied they were in good enough shape to make the finish. The racers, safety team and mountain rescue saved the life of a guy not involved in the race, but found by runners almost stripped off in an advanced state of hypothermia. he was brought off the hill into the hut, and we brought him round with sweet hot drink and Porridge, until Mountain rescue took him and he was picked up by Coast Guard helicopter.
    http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...n-border-ridge
    Dave.
    Last edited by dav657; 21-01-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Super Moderator
    Amazing resolve
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I went for a run with Javed and few others from his local running club last year - I had no idea that this was the kind of stuff he got up to! Looking at the pics on Facebook he looks in bloody good shape.

A friend who is a Claytonite, informs me that the PW double has been done by C-le-M's Robin Price, way back in the day. My friend did not state the time of year; just that Robin needed to get back to Edale to pick-up his car!
    All very plausible if you are aware of some of the antics that Robin along with Holmfirth's Ian Leighton got upto in the 80's ..... 4.5 day Scottish C2C (Ardnamurchan to Montrose) including 42 Munroes, fuelled by Complan & glucose mixed with burn water.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Outstanding show of mental and physical endurance IMO, a true inspiration what is the record for an out and back on the PW (if there is one, if there isn`t then Javed will get it).
    The weather overnight tonight and tomorrow morning will really test his mental resolve good luck Javed
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 23-01-2016 at 12:34 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!