Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good plan spine race

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    A friend who is a Claytonite, informs me that the PW double has been done by C-le-M's Robin Price, way back in the day. My friend did not state the time of year; just that Robin needed to get back to Edale to pick-up his car!
    All very plausible if you are aware of some of the antics that Robin along with Holmfirth's Ian Leighton got upto in the 80's ..... 4.5 day Scottish C2C (Ardnamurchan to Montrose) including 42 Munroes, fuelled by Complan & glucose mixed with burn water.
    Thanks Wheeze I would have been very surprised if nobody had done the PW both ways back to back I think Robin Price did it in 9 days 5hrs and 55 secs but like you I don`t know what time of year, and I suspect there are many others that have done it without documentation.

I don`t wish to try to make anybodys efforts seem less than they are, but for me a true winter round/traverse or any other achievement should be completed in the 2 weeks either side of the shortest day, but to achieve these feats with minimal daylight and possible bad weather always deserve recognition.
    Last edited by JohnK; 23-01-2016 at 09:27 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Saw him out just leaving Pen-y-Ghent summit. He looked remarkably jolly! Seems like a really, really nice guy! Well done that man! Should be arriving Edale today?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

At Snake now, so about to start the final leg.

Records are hard to compare on these type of things. However Javed is carrying a pack weighing several KG, many super fast records are done with full support, and the runner not carrying anything at all. As for two weeks either side of the shortest day, it's not just the number of hours of darkness that makes things harder. There was a lot of flooding then, but hardly any snow on the route, Eion who won the Spine, traversed the Cheviots with no snow on the ground, when Javed came across it was waist deep actually on the route in places, with a general covering of over a foot.

Super Moderator
    Blooming inspirational. Not sure what he's inspired me to do yet, but inspirational all the same . . .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dav657 View Post
    Records are hard to compare on these type of things. However Javed is carrying a pack weighing several KG, many super fast records are done with full support, and the runner not carrying anything at all. As for two weeks either side of the shortest day, it's not just the number of hours of darkness that makes things harder. There was a lot of flooding then, but hardly any snow on the route, Eion who won the Spine, traversed the Cheviots with no snow on the ground, when Javed came across it was waist deep actually on the route in places, with a general covering of over a foot.
    Yep appreciate what you say and I for one have experienced worse weather in spring summer and autumn on the hills in England Scotland and Wales, including snow, floods and gales than this winter has thrown us.
    Darkness is no longer an issue given the quality and technology that is available in head torches now.
    Yes fast records are done with support hence the term fully supported record, then of course there is the solo supported record where maybe the contender receives road support but runs solo, and not forgetting the solo self supported record where the contender receives no support at all from a third party but may well have placed stashes on route, and then there is the solo unsupported record where the contender caries everything they need to complete there endeavour.
    The 2 week window either side of the shortest day helps to give an even playing field to all potential contenders at a record it also makes it simpler to compare records.

Anyway well done Javed sounds like you have had a good trip
    Last edited by JohnK; 24-01-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Master