Thread: Inov8 Orocs

Inov8 Orocs

Seeing as I've always wanted to see a review of these, now I've had a pair and run in them, I thought I might as well share my experiences.

http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....80-review.html
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Seeing as I've always wanted to see a review of these, now I've had a pair and run in them, I thought I might as well share my experiences.

http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....80-review.html
    cheers
    Great review thanks.

I bought a pair of OROC 340s at half price in May this year (cue warm sense of self-satisfied smugness ) and managed to resist wearing them until last weekend on a trip to Crossfell. My usual Mudclaws would have been ok but the ORACs were much better, especially on the lower tracks which consisted of mixed sheet ice with rocks/stones poking through (micro-spikes would have been OTT). Gave a positive sense of confidence even when descending fast (for me!) on packed steep ice banks near the summit.

Yes, I noticed the feeling of the dobs too, but I'd removed the insoles so that i could squeeze in some sealskinz socks over my merinos - worked ok.

Like you, I'll reserve them just for the coldest of winter runs. Saw a picture of them online (an orienteering lass wearing a pair on what appeared to be a warm spring day) and I wondered why orienteers would consider using them outside of iced conditions?
    Am Yisrael Chai

The metal dobs are also great on wet logs apparently! I like the grip on mine, but can't seem to get the tension right in the laces - they are either too loose or too tight and hurt my feet! The 280s look a bit more forgiving....

yep they give a load of confidence when there's brashings underfoot, also better grip on rock.
    When orienteering you're likely on soft terrain for a long period of time so the grip lasts longer.
    My (6 year old) Oroc 340s have done 500+ miles of snow running and O now and very comfy. I've recently bought a pair of VJ Bolds with a more 'race fit', more dob protruderence and a tougher Kevlar upper (£102, not worn for any great time so can't comment on feeling the dobs yet) for O races, but the Orocs still remain for training/when it gets icey.
    Last edited by ba-ba; 20-01-2016 at 12:02 AM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Had mine 4 years (is this a record for an innovate shoe!!!) love them on snow or frozen ground. ran borrowdale one year in them and regretted it. it's a winter or woodland shoe, not for rocky terrain