Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes and pack questions.

Thanks for the advice and welcomes. I've tried on some X-Talon 212's and found them very light and flexible compared to my SC3's but can't comment on grip. Haven't tried the Mudclaws (yet.) How much stuff does Pete Bland normally take to those sorts of races? If it's worth holding out then I'm happy muddling through with the Salomon's then trying to pick something afterwards - I'm not going out to set any records, just have an enjoyable run this time.

Can someone talk me through the pro's/con's of more or less drop - is it just more heel/ankle support?

Sounds like a 3L waist pack/bumbag/arse luggage should do the trick then. The OMM one that people are referring to - is that just the standard one or the Phantom (which looks like a fair old chunk of change extra?)

And thanks for the welcome.

Super Moderator
    The van has loads of stuff to try and buy

I'd forget about support, cushioning etc and buy the fell shoes that fit best. If it's your first proper pair they will all feel light, snug and incredibly grippy!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

If you're used to running in SC3s which are about 10mm drop, you'd be safer sticking to 6mm, to go to 3mm might cause achilles and calf problems unless you transition slowly ( ie just run a mile in them to start with and build up ). So either X-Talon 212s or Mudclaw 300s.

As DT says ideally try both and see which feels better, as everyone's feet and gait are different.

If you were happy to buy on-line without trying, ie only only if you were sure of your Inov8 size, then Millet Sports doing extra 20% off over and above their already discounted prices

Inov8 X-Talon 212 precision for £53 http://www.milletsports.co.uk/runnin...-running-shoe/

Mudclaw 300 for £60 http://www.milletsports.co.uk/runnin...unning-shoe--/

There's P&P on top of those prices, seem to have most sizes in both shoes at the moment, 20% sale on until 26th Jan.

Mudclaws coming up at £75 for me Yaks, but that is cheap for the X-Talon's. Precision fit=narrower forefoot though? Historically in road shoes I get some rubbing a few inches back from my big toe, so I'm not sure if which option works better - more room to move or less room to rub.
    Think another trip to the shops is needed, I don't really want to rush something where fit is everything.

On the bumbag front - is the OMM Phantom worth paying double for over the normal OMM 3L version?

Quote Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post
    On the bumbag front - is the OMM Phantom worth paying double for over the normal OMM 3L version?
    I've never seen or used the Phantom bumbag, so can't comment based on experience, but looking at the features all your saving is 45 grms of weight. What's that, a packet o crisps, ninth of a tin of tomatoes? Save ya waddage and have a curry the night before the race.

tenohfive > Just out of curiosity, are you from down South? Can you recommend any good south trails as well?

I'm looking to do some runs in Midlands and Wales I guess

Mudclaws coming up at £75 for me Yaks, but that is cheap for the X-Talon's. Precision fit=narrower forefoot though? Historically in road shoes I get some rubbing a few inches back from my big toe, so I'm not sure if which option works better - more room to move or less room to rub.
    Think another trip to the shops is needed, I don't really want to rush something where fit is everything.

Mudclaw 300's is my recommendation. Half a size up from your bog standard shoe size

Rileforce, I am down south but can't really recommend anywhere in particular - I just get out and use whatever hilly bits I can find for training. Nothing worth going out of your way for.

Lemmy, I think you're probably right about the bumbag - initially I thought that it was only the Phantom with an elasticated outer webbing but it looks like both have it. That's one decision made.

I need to try some Mudclaws on but I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks them. I'm torn between ordering some in whilst there's the odd deal on them (I've found them for £65) or waiting until I'm next up in the Lake District and returning via Kendal to go into Pete Blands.

Can anyone advise on the rubbing issue in the context of precision fit/standard fit? I don't get any rubbing in the SC3's but in my road shoe (NB 880v5's) I've occasionally get some rubbing just inside the widest point. Is a precision fit version of the Inov8's less or more likely to rub?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Rileforce, I am down south but can't really recommend anywhere in particular - I just get out and use whatever hilly bits I can find for training. Nothing worth going out of your way for.

Lemmy, I think you're probably right about the bumbag - initially I thought that it was only the Phantom with an elasticated outer webbing but it looks like both have it. That's one decision made.

I need to try some Mudclaws on but I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks them. I'm torn between ordering some in whilst there's the odd deal on them (I've found them for £65) or waiting until I'm next up in the Lake District and returning via Kendal to go into Pete Blands.

Can anyone advise on the rubbing issue in the context of precision fit/standard fit? I don't get any rubbing in the SC3's but in my road shoe (NB 880v5's) I've occasionally get some rubbing just inside the widest point. Is a precision fit version of the Inov8's less or more likely to rub?
    Save your money on the bumbag - whether its a good fit and doesn't bounce around are far more important than weight. Anyway, that's more money to spend on the contents!

For Mudclaw 300 I'm a size 8 and my normal shoes (and all my other inov-8s are also 8s). I have never had any rubbing but I know those that have in the heel. There are a few websites that do free returns e.g. wiggle and I'm sure Pete Bland would let you return a mail order to the shop or van as long as you arranged in advance.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Hey up Tenho

I went from mk1 Speedcross, to mudclaws and now usually wear Walsh PBs. Here is my toungue in cheek take, on PBs vs Mudclaws.

http://sbrtrfr.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0...ern-souls.html

All the best
    sbrt