Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountaincraft

Mountaincraft

Read through various adverts/info/websites for long fell races, mountain marathons, challenges, and the word "Mountaincraft" invariably creeps up. But it gets me thinking, what does it actually mean to me, and does it mean the same to others.

Often hear long fell races referred to as a true test of "stamina, navigation, speed and Mountaincraft".... Almost as if it is a specific skill on it's own.... But to me, the definition is all those things combined. The ability to move relatively quickly, accurately and safely in the mountains, in a wide range of conditions, and to look after themselves when things take a turn for the worse, due to tiredness/weather/accident...

Anyone care to agree/disagree, or throw their thoughts into the ring...

Hi Travs

I'd agree with your general definition. To me, it could also include a wider appreciation and/or ability to read the mountain environment - e.g. Topography, flora, fauna, weather, etc - to a certain extent in order to maximise ones safe and efficient passage

Edit: the above is meant in relation to "mountaincraft" in its broadest sense, so not just fell running
    Last edited by JRCondor; 25-01-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm not sure mountaincraft has anything really to do directly with speed or stamina though these definitely contribute to safe passage in mountainous terrain. Navigation is obviously a part of it but not just necessarily being able to use a map and a compass; more so the ability to visualise a landscape from the 2D contours and vice versa and also to take decisions on the fly in response to topography that is not obvious on the map. I also take it to mean (as posted above) an understanding of the weather and being able to interpret and predict to a certain extent what effect that is likely to have on you. Knowledge of flora, ground conditions and how that will affect you as you traverse through it and having the experience to know how loose and difficult terrain will react as you run over it. There are plenty of elements to this and I doubt there is one definitive answer - i think we all have our own opinion on what good mountaincraft is albeit getting from A to B in as short a time as possible or being able to distinguish between a herdwick and a cairn in the clag! I still struggle with the latter..... ;-)
    Last edited by PeteS; 25-01-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I think 'mountaincraft' is a combination of a whole bunch of things and is something that evolves almost rather than be learnt. At one end it can be as simple as checking MWIS before you set off and knowing that the weather today will demand two or three pairs of gloves rather than one. For sure its about knowing what gear to carry and when to use it and when to turn back and live to fight another day .

Its probably not so much a fell race thing as very few races run in full on winter conditions or really bad weather and, even if the weather is bad, often the fell race route is defined and marshalled and there are a bunch of other runners on call. Hacking off into the hills for a long day out on your own or with a small bunch of friends is probably where mountaincraft comes in the most.

Also the definition of 'mountain' has an awful lot to do with it. I live smack in the middle of the Yorkshire 3 Peaks and would feel comfortable solo running up Pen y Ghent, Ingleborough or Whernside at any time of day or night, any time of year and in pretty much any kind of weather. Thats not to take these hills lightly but I know them and all their tracks, trods and bogs like the back of my hand. And here we're talking c 700m 'mountains'. In the lakes too I'm really familiar with a lot of the peaks but now the big peaks are 900m, the weather can be miles worse accordingly and I'd for sure not be so cock sure and would amongst other things absolutely carry a map for a long day out. Jump again to Scotland and 1100m plus mountains and its a whole new ball game again

That said Howden Edge and fecking Bleaklow in the dark in March for the HPM is a blinking nightmare and thats only 600m!
    Last edited by Stolly; 26-01-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Eric Langmuir's book Mountaincraft & Leadership is the 'bible' for the Mountain Leader Training Board and is a great addition to any bookshelf. It has all you need to know to keep yourself moving safely in mountainous terrain.
    If there's anythinig you need to know then it's in this book, and if it ain't in it then you don't need to know it :-)
    See the light in the night

Knowing when to turn around or get down off the fell/ Mountain, instead of blindly, chasing a goal.

Such as the 1962 LDMT story. Due to terrible conditions there was only one finisher. The rest retired. Digression is the beter part of valour.

Master
    In a nutshell knowing and understanding your environment and limitations and acting accordingly
    The older I get the Faster I was

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    In a nutshell knowing and understanding your environment and limitations and acting accordingly
    In one word then - experience.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Wonderful!

It reminded me of Sam Fuller's (the American movie director) response in Jean-Luc Godard's marvellous film Pierrot le Fou (1966) when asked to define cinema:

"Film is like a battleground. Love. Hate. Action. Violence. Death.

In one word - emotion."
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Yep but Practical on the hill in all conditions experience, and on all terrain in order to push your boundaries and therefore gain more experience.

Never get complacent there is always more experience to be gained. (but we all know that don`t we)
    The older I get the Faster I was