Thread: Women's waterproof shell

Women's waterproof shell

I've persuaded the better half to get off the roads and out into the hills with me so I need to get her properly clad. Top of the list is a waterproof shell.

Smock or full zip isn't a major issue and this will be exclusively for running, mostly on the fells (and then fairly intermittently I suspect.) So I'm focusing the search one something lightweight rather than something capable of shrugging off a hoolie on the Aonach Eagach.

My first thought was the Inov8 Race Elite 140 Stormshell - decently featured, good reviews. But I'm struggling to find it in her size for less than £120. I'll pay that happily, don't get me wrong - but if I'm going to pay close on full whack (rather than £20 less in other sizes) then I want to be sure it's the best option.

Before I go ahead and order that should I consider anything else? I've looked at a couple of other options but either ruled them out through weight or lack of reviews.

Cheers.

Master
    The 150 Stormshell I have is delaminating after not a lot of use and the zip is far from waterproof. One reviewer noticed delamination in some that were on display in a shop. My Haglofs Oz smock is a couple of years older and has no delamination at all, though I damaged it in a fall. My OMM trousers have lasted well - I will consider an OMM Kamleika smock when I next need a top.

One thing to ponder: What is she likely to curse you for; a bit of extra weight, or lack of protection? It might be worth going for something a tad heavier if it is certain to keep her dry, warm & safe ( not to mention lasting the course ) particularly if she is not racing but recreational fell running.
    My racing days are over but I still get out on the fells regularly; despite having a couple of good, lighter jackets my 'go to' garment in the current conditions is my Paramo Velez Adventure Light smock (not quite so heavy as the standard Velez smock) which is bomb-proof, plenty of ventilation options and infinitely repairable and reproofable; but a tad pricey at £220, but Go Outdoors had them on offer at £180 with a further 10% off with the G.O. loyalty card.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I suspect she's more likely to be a fair weather runner, I can't see her entering many races - it's more likely that she'll join me for the odd run when we're on holiday. I foresee most of it's time spent in a bumbag.

A bit worrying to read about the Stormshell delaminating though.

The next step up would seem to be the OMM Aeon with the Kamleika and Montane Minimus also being contenders.

In addition to my inov8 racing jacket (not sure which one it is) I also have a berghaus vellum which is made from gtx active. Its a bit thicker than a 'racing' jacket, has a good deep hood. And big pockets that act as big vents if
    needs be. But still very minimal for packing. When I'm off out for a longer run its is my preferred choice. Sportspursuit have them every now and again for about £80-100

Quote Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post

The next step up would seem to be the OMM Aeon with the Kamleika and Montane Minimus also being contenders.
    For what it's worth, I've had a Montane Minimus for coming up to two years now, and can't fault it. It has been stuffed and unstuffed endlessly for chucking into the bumbag for races, used often for wet dog walks as well as for running in. Especially over the last few months of wet and windy conditions its been my go to jacket. Gets the occasional Nikwax reproofing but all told still holding up pretty well with no de-lamination that others may have commented on in other threads.