Thread: Follow The Money

Follow The Money

A RO once revealed to me that his race lost money ie he was subsidising it from his pocket, but he would do this happily as long as people were prepared to turn up to run in his classic lakeland fell race. This conversation led Brian Martin and I to create the Lakeland Classics Trophy.

Today there are other RO who organise fell races, which fall somewhat short of “classic”status, as a business.

Where the money goes from a fell race is usually a mystery, although there was a time when some RO published their race accounts in The Fellrunner!

In my time as FRA Chair the Committee refused to list in the Calendar several proposed new races that we deemed to be “commercial” although my view has generally been that the FRA should be wary of trying to monitor or exercise moral judgement on where the entry fee goes and, more prosaically, recognise that fellrunners will vote with their feet and enter whichever races they choose.

So what has prompted this post?

Well on another thread (Hoofstones - Sat 30th Jan) Dan the RO has revealed that nearly 2/3rdof the Hoofstones entry money will go to good causes including Calder Valley MR. Initially I had thought £7 was marginally high for a low key fell race but now I know that Dan put his race on just for my pleasure and that of others, and that 2/3rds of the entry fee is going to eg Mountain Rescue : the entry fee suddenly seems very cheap and I would have willingly paid more.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I keep it bare to the bones style, don't spend where I don't need to, get sponsors for numbers etc. The majority of my spend is prizes.

No race like mine could happen without help. As a member of tod harriers I can get the use of the flags, signs, water butts and fancy timers for the race, which I couldn't afford myself.

Helpers Spring out of the ground mostly from the harriers, but also friends from other clubs and the occasional family helper.

They all help to make it happen, I just coordinate it and it feels good to give some money to a good cause at the end of the day.

Dan

Banned
    Great post Graham and thankyou Dan.
    Fellrunning is still alive ��

Super Moderator
    What Stagger said
    Poacher turned game-keeper

This good old sport still has something, bravo chaps
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Well done Dan. Sounds like you are doing a great job. Hope to do your race one year. Clashed with Midlands XC this year unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    A RO once revealed to me that his race lost money ie he was subsidising it from his pocket, but he would do this happily as long as people were prepared to turn up to run in his classic lakeland fell race. This conversation led Brian Martin and I to create the Lakeland Classics Trophy.

Today there are other RO who organise fell races, which fall somewhat short of “classic”status, as a business.

Where the money goes from a fell race is usually a mystery, although there was a time when some RO published their race accounts in The Fellrunner!

In my time as FRA Chair the Committee refused to list in the Calendar several proposed new races that we deemed to be “commercial” although my view has generally been that the FRA should be wary of trying to monitor or exercise moral judgement on where the entry fee goes and, more prosaically, recognise that fellrunners will vote with their feet and enter whichever races they choose.

So what has prompted this post?

Well on another thread (Hoofstones - Sat 30th Jan) Dan the RO has revealed that nearly 2/3rdof the Hoofstones entry money will go to good causes including Calder Valley MR. Initially I had thought £7 was marginally high for a low key fell race but now I know that Dan put his race on just for my pleasure and that of others, and that 2/3rds of the entry fee is going to eg Mountain Rescue : the entry fee suddenly seems very cheap and I would have willingly paid more.
    Graham whats the stance on the Pendle Three Peaks, given Championship status by the FRA this year?

Quote Originally Posted by studmarks View Post
    Graham whats the stance on the Pendle Three Peaks, given Championship status by the FRA this year?
    In general, for a number of reasons, I believe that once people have left the FRA Committee they should resist commenting on subsequent Committee activities, other than publicly showing support; not least because they are no longer party to the current and full picture.

It has consistently been my view that if someone really wishes to know something they should ask a committee member directly, it's why they are elected.

And if people just want to have fun, we have the Forum!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    In general, for a number of reasons, I believe that once people have left the FRA Committee they should resist commenting on subsequent Committee activities, other than publicly showing support; not least because they are no longer party to the current and full picture.

It has consistently been my view that if someone really wishes to know something they should ask a committee member directly, it's why they are elected.

And if people just want to have fun, we have the Forum!
    Think that answers my question Graham.