Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Our 20 years old Hoover New Wave, after various maintenance repairs and services during that time, finally gave up the ghost some 2 years ago.
    Asking around, amongst younger ex-colleagues in the electrical trades ( I retired almost 5 years ago ) several are more than happy with LG (Korean built, I think ), having had 10 years plus faultless service and still going strong. LG were pioneers in domestic washing machines employing induction motors (no brushes to burn out) directly mounted to the drum shaft ( no belts to slip or snap ). On shopping around, it was apparent that some of the German manufacturers were following LG's lead but we stuck with the innovators and have been more than happy - but as above we went for a basic model without too many "bells & whistles".
    Also, as above, I always hand rinse my socks and the lower legs of trackie bottoms, in a basin or bucket to remove the more solid elements of dirt, before placing said garments in the washing machine.
    NB Sealskin socks last far longer if you wash them by hand in warm water without detergent or soap - inside out; right way around; inside out again; wring out between each wash by rolling them up starting from the toe and rolling to the cuff. By doing this it allows trapped water to escape out of the cuff without creating a pressurised hydraulic action within the toe (which would split the waterproof membrane). I then hang them by the toe, inside out - it's the inside that needs to be dry - not a problem if the outer remains a bit damp.
    Hoover and Hotpoint used to last for ages, our second hand hotpoint kept going for at least another 15yrs before it had to be scrapped for the Bosch.

Machines using induction motors are the most advanced and experience the smallest drops in efficiency from mechanical drag. Indiction motor speed is controlled by a Variable Frequency Drive, otherwise known as 'Inverter speed control'. Induction motor speed is dependant upon supply frequency, altering supply frequency is the most efficient way to start and ramp the motor up to full speed as startup torque is not compromised like with voltage based speed control. Motors starting direct on-line (no soft-start device) would experience massive current surges when coupled direct to the machine drum, thus they require a load-reducing belt drive arrangement which is less efficient. Motors coupled direct to the drum can also be wound for a lower full speed (1200-1400RPM) giving better torque and less power lost to bearing drag, motors on a belt arrangement will typically be 2900RPM. I would say induction motor direct drive with variable frequency speed control is the most reliable and efficient way of rotating the drum; i'd definitely consider a Siemens machine for the best performance in this area, as that setup is the bread and butter of their core business.

So, lets tick some boxes...

-Induction motor direct drive
    -Inverter Speed Control
    -Basic user interface, no bells and whistles just switches
    -Stick to a trusted brand
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Great, thanks for the tips. I was expecting a load of grief asking this question & have been pleasantly surprised by the lack of sarcasm! Cheers all.
    Jez, us little boys can't go playing out in the slutch without some means of cleaning up our kit, ready for the next play-time.

A reliable washing machine is as essential as studded shoes and taped seams!

Ian.

P.S. Maybe having to display a receipt for a half decent washing machine should be a kit-check item before the start of a race??
    The FRA could issue a list of "approved" machines??
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 04-02-2016 at 09:37 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Jez, us little boys can't go playing out in the slutch without some means of cleaning up our kit, ready for the next play-time.

A reliable washing machine is as essential as studded shoes and taped seams!

Ian.

P.S. Maybe having to display a receipt for a half decent washing machine should be a kit-check item before the start of a race??
    The FRA could issue a list of "approved" machines??
    Ha, I completely agree Ian! After I run Beamsley Beacon I always finish with a wade in the River Wharfe & always come home spotless!

Great, thanks for the tips. I was expecting a load of grief asking this question & have been pleasantly surprised by the lack of sarcasm! Cheers all.
    Washing machines, slow cookers, what a domesticated lot us fell runners are
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    Washing machines, slow cookers, what a domesticated lot us fell runners are

Or maybe just a bunch of TOGS

RIP Terry Wogan
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Don't forget to upcycle your dead washing machine.

We replaced it with one from John Lewis.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Well Jez, did your SO have you around the electrical outlets on Saturday? What have you plumped for?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Well Jez, did your SO have you around the electrical outlets on Saturday? What have you plumped for?
    Ha, fortunately not mate! We're both off next week, so will have that pleasure then! I'll report back.....

Ha, fortunately not mate! We're both off next week, so will have that pleasure then! I'll report back.....
    Come on, Jez; spill the beans. Myself & Mr B are waiting with bated breath.