Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Request- Leg 3 Recce

Help Request- Leg 3 Recce

Hello all.

This is my first post on here, and I'm looking for some help with recces for the BGR- never a small ask I appreciate! My fell-running profile is short: I paced a leg for a BGR back in Oct 2014 that lit a spark and since then I've been trying to get conditioned for my own attempt hopefully on 6th May- waiting to hear from work to ensure the date is free! I've reccied legs 1 & 2 together a few times keeping to the 23hr schedule- I live in Kendal so that route is easy reach (although I've missed the last Grassmere bus more than once!) but I've struggled with leg 3 i.e. I've done some scrambles/climbs whilst thinking this can't be right!!? I've only done Leg 4 once, and not leg 5 yet.

Could anyone help me recce leg 3, 4 or 5, or if anyone needs a carrier/mule or doesn't mind me tagging along on their BG attempt please let me know and I'd be very grateful. Similarly I'm here to help out on leg 1 and 2 that I know well now.

Thanks a lot for reading this.

Other than getting to certain tops, i.e. Pike o' Stickle, and Broad Stand there's no scrambling on leg 3. None of these even get in to a scrambling guide so it's more an occasional hands on rock rather than in pockets (not counting Broad Stand in that). The ascent up the rakes on Bowfell feels a bit airy but it's basically OK.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Thanks a lot, it's very likely I'm not used to that airy aspect on a run. I'll look forward to mastering leg 3 soon hopefully.

Aleks is attempting the Bob on Feb 19th

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The ascent up the rakes on Bowfell feels a bit airy but it's basically OK.
    I think this is my favourite bit on the round

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus1 View Post
    Thanks a lot, it's very likely I'm not used to that airy aspect on a run. I'll look forward to mastering leg 3 soon hopefully.
    Pegasus. its in your back garden and shouldn't be too hard for you to recce. You can even break it down into sections for instance an out and back from Dunmail going as far as you choose, or as I often used to do, Start in Borrowdale and go up to High raise and pick up route. Several times this way I did a circuit around the rest of leg 3 and followed leg 4 back to Honister before dropping back to car in Stonethwaite. But from the Scafells you could simply drop back to Styhead via Corridor and then bob up Gables if you wish.

I park in great langdale and go onto Bowfell from there

For the Scafell bit (well plus a bit extra): park at Seathwaite, up to Esk Hause then follow the route to Wasdale then do leg 4 as far as Green Gable and drop back to Seathwaite
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Corniceman, Spen, thanks a lot for your advice, I'll recce half of Leg 3 starting next Monday from Dunmail, and from Gt Langdale the next time.

Thanks Bob for the Scafell/Leg 4 to Green Gable tip. This all gives me a plan. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I think this is my favourite bit on the round
    Nah, the very best bit of the round is Lords Rake and the WWT followed by the brilliant descent from Scafell into Wasdale (including some scree surfing of course)