Thread: Fell Top Conditions

Fell Top Conditions

Evening all, sorry I can't find a sticky for this but let me know if this is in the wrong spot.

Heading up for 4 days in the lakes from Sunday, and looking to get at least a couple of decent runs in, but from the looks of things (http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/) the snow looks pretty hairy in a few places and not sure how passable the tops are.

Looking at doing Leg 1 of the BG, and maybe Kentmere Horsehoe later in the week. Anyone been up round any of that territory recently able to comment on conditions? Passable in fell shoes or is it crampon/axe territory yet (I don't own either and suspect the missus wouldn't be too impressed if I suggested we go and buy some).

If it's hard going at the moment, any suggestions for runs lower down would be great - staying Threlkeld and Bowness.

Cheers.

Hi Ray, if you're on Facebook, then there's a pretty useful group to join - "Ground Conditions In UK Mountain Areas", lots of up to date info on what conditions are like.......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345833125602252/
    Totley AC

I ran on leg two today in fellshoes and was fine. Plenty of snow about about 2200'. Kept off the ridges and had a blast.

undercover moderator
    Skiddaw very runnable today. Needed compass in sudden cloud though (bit of a girl).

Wasdale nice and white from approx 1000 ft up, good running though, it's gained a nice crust. That said it's blooming cold and full winter but totally fine with the right attitude and stuff. Coniston old man today was ok up to the final 300 foot or so, expect it may freeze more tomorrow. I'm up it again Wednesday so will see what's what., I'll let you know

Should have pointed out the wasdale report was from Friday, I'm not that fit that I cover wasdale and coniston in a day, well not until the OCT, and to be honest I'm not really that fit then.

Cheers all, ended up keeping all the running at valley level (not through choice, I might add) but managed a walk up to Red Tarn on Monday, fine without spikes but otherwise proper winter conditions. A lot of folks up on the edges and a few hardy souls climbing up the gullies from the tarn - no thanks.

Frozen Turf in the peak, no snow, blue sky, big smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dale View Post
    Cheers all, ended up keeping all the running at valley level (not through choice, I might add) but managed a walk up to Red Tarn on Monday, fine without spikes but otherwise proper winter conditions. A lot of folks up on the edges and a few hardy souls climbing up the gullies from the tarn - no thanks.
    I was there too - probably saw the same people in the gulleys. We went for a run on Tuesday morning and it was difficult to stand up. Those 70mph winds they threatened felt pretty strong.