Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darwen Tower-Winter Hill

Darwen Tower-Winter Hill

I run around Winter Hill quite a bit. I've looked across to Darwen from there and figured there would be a good loop that could take in Great Hill / Winter Hill / Darwen Tower, perhaps ~ 20 mile?
    I know the Winter Hill / Two Lads section well but from a map there doesn't seem an obvoius route to Darwen Tower that doesn't take in a lot of road. Can anyone help, possibly send a Strava link so I can piece the bits together?

Your post reminded me of the old Three Towers race; http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...e-towers-route

I think you can follow the flagstones from the top of Great Hill and they take you over towards Rivvy Pike (or vice versa)

I always run to Great Hill from Darwen Tower and that's a simple enough route (suppose it is when you know it!) and the only tarmac I touch is crossing a road. I go through Roddlesworth Woods and then cross over Bolton Rd.

2626.jpg

Not the best image but circled top right is Darwen Tower and then I drew my running line next to the lines/paths I take - bottom left is Great Hill.

The Winter Hill / Rivvy Pike / Great Hill / Darwen Tower route is around 20 miles though, I know that, used to be one of my Grandad's regular training runs and I'll be having a go or two before the Three Peaks this year
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by Darwen Dashers Calvin View Post
    I think you can follow the flagstones from the top of Great Hill and they take you over towards Rivvy Pike (or vice versa)

I always run to Great Hill from Darwen Tower and that's a simple enough route (suppose it is when you know it!) and the only tarmac I touch is crossing a road. I go through Roddlesworth Woods and then cross over Bolton Rd.

2626.jpg

Not the best image but circled top right is Darwen Tower and then I drew my running line next to the lines/paths I take - bottom left is Great Hill.

The Winter Hill / Rivvy Pike / Great Hill / Darwen Tower route is around 20 miles though, I know that, used to be one of my Grandad's regular training runs and I'll be having a go or two before the Three Peaks this year
    Thanks for this
    I've dropped down from the north side of Winter Hill, down and across Belmont Rd, and then over the first ridge (Splitters?) and onwards over the flags to Great Hill. Your map above then links GHill to Darwen Tower - but once there is there a route that takes you back around towards Belmont, I figured near San Marino's up The Ramp back to Winter Hill summit?

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Your post reminded me of the old Three Towers race; http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...e-towers-route
    Sounds ideal, will look at the map

Start in Rivington, then take in the Pike, Two Lads, Mast, drop down the ramp to the A675, cross hear, down to the Ornamental Res, past Lower Whitaker's, little bit of road, Higher Pasture House to pick up Catherine's edge, up past Higher Pasture Farm to get on to Darwen Moor, some combination of footpaths will get you to Darwen Tower. From here down to Slipper Lowe, Great Hill, then back either via Spitlers Edge or drop down to White Coppice and come back along by the Ressies. Most of this is on the Anglezarke Amble route, (which is on today)

https://www.strava.com/activities/434335455

Think this link should work. There are lots of various options to extend runs around Winter Hill and include Great Hill and Darwen Tower.

The above link is a 20 mile loop starting and finishing at San Marino's on Belmont Road; up the ramp, across to Rivington,via the Two Lads, onto White Coppice and up the back of Great Hill (a lot less boggy than Spitlers at the moment). Cross Belmont Rd at Piccadilly and then through the woods and up to Darwen Tower via the Lyon's Den. Pick up The Witton Weaver's Way back to Belmont.

A bit of trail, but mainly fell. Comparative training run for The Amble or Haworth Hobble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/434335455

Think this link should work. There are lots of various options to extend runs around Winter Hill and include Great Hill and Darwen Tower.

The above link is a 20 mile loop starting and finishing at San Marino's on Belmont Road; up the ramp, across to Rivington,via the Two Lads, onto White Coppice and up the back of Great Hill (a lot less boggy than Spitlers at the moment). Cross Belmont Rd at Piccadilly and then through the woods and up to Darwen Tower via the Lyon's Den. Pick up The Witton Weaver's Way back to Belmont.

A bit of trail, but mainly fell. Comparative training run for The Amble or Haworth Hobble.
    That looks like a good one, Rob...think I might have to have a go at that
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/WestLancashi...mble-2016.html
    I think the Anglezarke Amble route gives you a way to link Winter Hill and Darwen Tower.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Appreciate all the replies, very helpful indeed - think I've got what I need.

Start at Great Barn, Pigeon Tower, Pike, Pike Cottage, 2 Lads, Shooting Hut, Winter Hill, down Ramp, San Marinos, Graeme78's wiggle through Ornamental Res / Lower Whittaker (I'm not familiar with this bit, must be a right from the road immediately after San Marino's??), pick up RobP's Strava thread taking me over the Moor to Darwen Tower, down through woods and over the rd to Great Hill - then I will follow the flags back to Belmont Rd over Splitters Edge, cross the rd back up the Winter Hill summit and back via Brown Hill.

Sounds a spot on route - just need to dig my waterproof socks out.