Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darwen Tower-Winter Hill

RobP - I can't seem to download that route from Strava as a GPX. I think this may be because I'm not following you and you have a private (request to follow) profile.
    Could you send me a GPX, or alternatively I will send you a follow request and see if that opens it up?

Richard, Strava request accepted.

Rob

Originally Posted by Rob P
    https://www.strava.com/activities/434335455

Think this link should work. There are lots of various options to extend runs around Winter Hill and include Great Hill and Darwen Tower.

The above link is a 20 mile loop starting and finishing at San Marino's on Belmont Road; up the ramp, across to Rivington,via the Two Lads, onto White Coppice and up the back of Great Hill (a lot less boggy than Spitlers at the moment). Cross Belmont Rd at Piccadilly and then through the woods and up to Darwen Tower via the Lyon's Den. Pick up The Witton Weaver's Way back to Belmont.

A bit of trail, but mainly fell. Comparative training run for The Amble or Haworth Hobble.
    That looks like a good one, Rob...think I might have to have a go at that

It's not a bad route Calvin, some decent climbing and plenty of options to extend / shorten where required.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Sounds a spot on route - just need to dig my waterproof socks out.
    The last time I ran from Great Hill to Winter Hill in January, the flags soon gave way to, in some parts, knee deep bog! Thoroughly entertaining!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    The last time I ran from Great Hill to Winter Hill in January, the flags soon gave way to, in some parts, knee deep bog! Thoroughly entertaining!!
    It's not stopped raining much since has it? I've been avoiding Winter Hill for this very reason in preference for the Clwydian's in past couple of months. I reckon the worst bits will be either side of the road, bottom of Winter Hill and, as you say, the bit beyond the flags.
    Having said that, it can be just as bad in the summer - complete mystery how Two Lads got canned last year due to a fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
    Richard, Strava request accepted.

Rob
    Cheers - and have ripped that route, many thanks.