Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Gloves

I suffer from raynaulds and have yet to find a decent pair of gloves to stave off the cold, are also easy to take off and on and are waterproof.

Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

Cheers

Jock

Quote Originally Posted by Jock View Post
    I suffer from raynaulds and have yet to find a decent pair of gloves to stave off the cold, are also easy to take off and on and are waterproof.

Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

Cheers

Jock
    Me too jock, find the best thing is get gear that retains warmth even when wet ..merino / wool fits the bill ,if you also double up with some good mittens ,your spare pair (in case of loss ) also add extra warmth when worn over the top of your gloves .

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Bill. View Post
    Me too jock, find the best thing is get gear that retains warmth even when wet ..merino / wool fits the bill ,if you also double up with some good mittens ,your spare pair (in case of loss ) also add extra warmth when worn over the top of your gloves .
    Me too. I have a thin tight pair of merino/synthetic mix gloves coupled with some Buffalo mittens.
    For cycling I use the planetx crab claw gloves but they would be fine for winter running too. Very toasty!
    Last edited by PeteS; 16-02-2016 at 02:18 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I also have Reynauds.

Currently waiting on delivery of a pair of Montane Prism gloves and Inov8 ultra mitts to go over the top. I have also found that keeping my wrists warm is key to keeping the blood flowing. An old pair of hiking socks chopped at the heel to make wrist warmers has really helped this winter.

I get fricken cold hands and I found that the montane minimus mitts really helped. They fit over the top of all my 'normal' gloves and are very waterproof/windproof. Through winter if my hands start getting cold (or it started raining) I whipped these on over the top of my other gloves and my hands actually warmed up.

They are dead light and thin, so no bother to whip on or off and just stow in a pocket etc while not using. I find if I have to rummage around inside my pack to get bigger gloves or stow gloves, I put off changing until I really have to. These are great as I can just stow them in a chest pocket (or similar) without any discomfort and put them on/off as needed.

Eye wateringly expensive for the're size, but I really like them.

me too! I've found thinny gloves great for most conditions with an outer waterproof mitten over...plenty of room for handwarmers. trick is not to get wet and cold. I tried a pair of Montane Prism mitts on Sunday and they would be a consideration next time I'm buying - bit on the thin side as I could feel the cold air hitting the back of my hand but I reckon with thinny gloves inside and/or actually running (I was out walking) they'd be really toasty

MrRTS suffers very badly with Reynaulds. He has never found anything to help until now. For valentines I bought him a pair of the Montane Minimus Mittens :-) Great result. He did the 9 Edges route on Sunday and for the 1st time ever finished a blooming cold day run with toasty hands. He wore silk lining cloves underneath and he was clipping the dog on and off the lead when getting to roads without having to remove the mitts. His liner gloves were soaked when he finished with hands sweating but at no point was he cold. What he could do if he needed to would be to carry a spare pair of liner gloves (very thin) to change.
    He cannot recommend them enough :-) P2140140.jpg

Thanks guys for all your thoughts and advice. I'm in Manchester city centre tomorrow so will have a chance to get to Blacks to try a few pairs on.

Mentioned in another thread on here but mitts are warmer than gloves (like for like) - less surface area to lose heat from. Montane Prism mitts are brilliant, PL fill so warm when wet and have kept my hands warm in 60mph+ wind driven heavy rain. They also weigh next to nothing. I rate the Prism gloves too but they are a touch less warm than the mitts. Neither will take hours of scrambling - the pertex outer isn't hard wearing - but for running they're great.

Quote Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post
    Mentioned in another thread on here but mitts are warmer than gloves (like for like) - less surface area to lose heat from. Montane Prism mitts are brilliant, PL fill so warm when wet and have kept my hands warm in 60mph+ wind driven heavy rain. They also weigh next to nothing. I rate the Prism gloves too but they are a touch less warm than the mitts. Neither will take hours of scrambling - the pertex outer isn't hard wearing - but for running they're great.
    agree - mitts are so much warmer