Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Don't know what I'd do without a Bacon butty, the occasional rib-eye and a good chilli beef.

I like my Veg. Pak Choi is one of my favourites, but I like my meat as well.

Anyway, back to Brexit - can't wait and hopefully we'll have plentiful supplies of UK landed fish at decent prices to go at.

I like my halibut as well
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Apparently we catch lots of mackerel around the UK, and currently sell most of it to the EU. I wonder if tastes will change post-brexit and whether there will be much of an effect on price (cheaper for UK-caught fish, more expensive for EU-caught fish).

It's hard to estimate from the news stories. As they say "what's that got to do with the price of fish?"

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Apparently we catch lots of mackerel around the UK, and currently sell most of it to the EU. I wonder if tastes will change post-brexit and whether there will be much of an effect on price (cheaper for UK-caught fish, more expensive for EU-caught fish).

It's hard to estimate from the news stories. As they say "what's that got to do with the price of fish?"
    Yes it's interesting.

Red Fish is another one, almost entirely exported to France. I was at Newlyn fish market a few years ago and a lot of the catch was shipped to France after purchase.

But if they can afford to do that now, which involved freezer wagons in Uk to airport then flying the fish across, I doubt single figure import duty will be an issue.
    Quota might be though.

Some Norwegian Salmon Farm companies set up processing over in Poland. Even though they are EEA there were still issues with processed fish, so they shipped the unprocessed fish to Poland to get around the measures.

Not sure if that is still the case.

So maybe that will be the same for UK landed fish, that processed will be more problematic.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Good job the UK has plenty of spare dosh lying around at the moment and can reasonably expect the budget deficit to be well under control for the next year or two.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...s-work-brexit/

Ministers are paying six of the world's biggest consulting firms up to £180m for work on “thinking, shaping and delivering” Brexit, newly published contract details show. [...] All the contracts run for a year, with the option to extend for another 12 months.

Mind you, I thought Boris had already fulfilled his promise of getting Brexit done and had said 12 months ago that “We have a great deal, it’s ready to go — just add water, stir in pot.” So quite why we need consultants to work on “thinking, shaping and delivering” Brexit for the next year or two isn't clear to me. But that must be due to my lack of understanding or bad memory, because otherwise it would bring into question Boris's honesty, integrity and attention to detail, and we all know he's unimpeachable on those character traits. And, anyway, it's only 180 million quid - what else have we got on which to spend such a trifling amount if we weren't paying it to 'consultants'?

And that’s just the estimated cost to now

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post

And that’s just the estimated cost to now
    So another forecast. How many have those been wrong lately!

Of course, all lost economic growth in 2020 is down to Brexit, nothing to do with Covid.

You remoaners still don't get it.

The Brexit vote was about far more than economics.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

It's true, I think a lot of Leave voters took the attitude, "I don't care if it makes me poorer, I just don't want any of our laws made in Brussels."
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Lost growth can't be assessed as a cost anyway. It's equivalent to a company losing turnover. A company could actually become more profitable if the lost turnover was at lower than average margin.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

You remoaners still don't get it.

I just love being called a ‘remoaner”; every single time somebody trots it out it makes me detest brexit just that little bit more... and even more determined to never give up until we successfully rejoin

I’m a rejoiner not a remoaner

As for brexit being ‘about far more than economics’, it’s funny how brexit became increasingly ‘about far more than economics’ once everyone increasingly began to realise that the economics of it were increasingly shit. You know, as predicted right from the start by all of the experts Michael Gove had had enough of.....
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 14-11-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Bugger Brexit. The worst thing that has happened in my lifetime. And Yes happy to be a remoaner.