Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast

Thread: Brexit

I personally would boycott any shop or supermarket that sold food that was raised on lower standards than presently applied in the UK and Europe, especially so with chlorinated chicken sheds where chickens are raised very very poorly.
    the thing is, you probably will never know. The legislation isn't just about not having standards enshrined in law, it also affects labeling. The Americans think nutritional labeling is bad. In the absence of a law, it could easily be dropped from UK labels as part of a trade deal. The US doesn't label GMO food, and there's also the issue of antibiotics. It's unlikely that these will be flagged on the packaging, as the US wants to “eliminate … unjustified labeling” saying it unfairly discriminates against American foods and, get this, “views the introduction of warning labels as harmful rather than as a step to public health”. It has even recently challenged country of origin labeling.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    ... 'meat is murder but fish is justifiable homicide'..
    Since I eat hardly any meat, and then only really lamb, and so 95% fish - thank you!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    I agree. That's why, if the parachute I bought yesterday doesn't work, I'll be sure to sue the company that made it.
    Only a fool would buy a parachute from a company without a reputation for testing and standards. I don't think you're that.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Since I eat hardly any meat, and then only really lamb, and so 95% fish - thank you!
    If 95% of what you eat is fish, GB, please tell us what the other 5% consists of.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Hey vegetarians, how is your iron level?
    I eat very little meat and would like to eat even less. But every now and then I have a blood test and it always shows although I'm not anaemic I have low hematocrito. Which is important x many things, including bringing o2 to the muscles and therefore sport performance. The Dr constantly encourage me to eat red meat.
    I do eat tons of veg-iron like spinach broccoli beans and oranges.

What's your iron vegetarians?

Mine is normal. No meat for 4 years.

I certainly feel better after a meat meal. So I wouldn't be surprised if my iron levels were low from time to time. I maybe eat meat once or twice a week, and it's often chicken.
    No longer "resting"

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    If 95% of what you eat is fish, GB, please tell us what the other 5% consists of.
    Ha ha. Very good. So - Porridge/Oranges/Apples/Pasta/Green Vegetables/Yoghurt. And I wear a hair shirt, sleep on a bed of nails, self-flagellate and listen to Bob Dylan.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Don't know what I'd do without a Bacon butty, the occasional rib-eye and a good chilli beef.

I like my Veg. Pak Choi is one of my favourites, but I like my meat as well.

Anyway, back to Brexit - can't wait and hopefully we'll have plentiful supplies of UK landed fish at decent prices to go at.

I like my halibut as well
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Apparently we catch lots of mackerel around the UK, and currently sell most of it to the EU. I wonder if tastes will change post-brexit and whether there will be much of an effect on price (cheaper for UK-caught fish, more expensive for EU-caught fish).

It's hard to estimate from the news stories. As they say "what's that got to do with the price of fish?"
    No longer "resting"