Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast

Thread: Brexit

I used to read the Gruniad, only because it was free and to laugh at Owen Jones, but it kicks me out after about thirty seconds now. So, being frugal, I am reduced to Spiked. Has anything happened?
    My freedom does not end where your fear begins.

No, not the Guardian but the New York Times

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    But does the Grauniad still have the best typographic errors?
    My favourite is still the time they had to apologise because the previous day's crossword grid and clues did not belong together. Adds a new dimension to the term 'cryptic'.

Here's one person who perhaps could be forgiven for thinking he'd been sold a pig in a poke. Or perhaps he might think that the concept of 'global Britain' and the 'benefits of trading all over the globe' had been sold to him under false pretences. He might, perhaps, also think that the idea that 'unnecessary EU red tape' had been holding back companies such as his had been somewhat exaggerated. His ten employees might have thoughts of their own, as well.

He's been in business for 50 years. All his customers are in the EU. His business turns over around 2 million pounds per year, and employs about ten staff. He was a very big supporter - advocate, even - of Brexit. He now thinks his business might go under because, due to the UK having left the EU, his business is no longer competitive.

Speaking on Sky News, Peter Wood – an eel exporter from Gloucester – said “be careful what you wish for”, revealing that a raft of red tape had driven buyers to producers in EU countries.

“We all produce the documentation but unfortunately our customers have also got a raft of documentation to produce to allow the import to go ahead.

“So why buy from the UK? Might as well buy from another producer in France who can deliver to the door no documentation, no problems.”

Asked how he feels about his vote now, he added: “I think be careful what you wish for – I thought we were going to get a global market, this is going to be a new opportunity.

“It hasn’t turned out like that. I’d never have voted for Brexit if I knew we were going to lose our jobs.”

This won't be too much of a concern to Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Michael Gove, Iain Duncan Smith, Jacob Rees-Mogg, et al., of course. They've done very well out of Brexit. I can imagine it's quite a big concern to Peter Wood, his 10 employees, and his suppliers, though. (Although I suppose they could join all the ballet dancers and retrain for a job 'in cyber'.)

Of course, other individuals, companies and businesses might do well out of Brexit. So that's alright, then. And now we'll be able to use imperial measurements to describe fell races again, just like we did in the good old days before it was all spoiled for us, when stood the church clock at ten to three and there was honey still for tea. And before we got old.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...s-viral/29/12/

https://twitter.com/rolandmcs/status...51610595209217

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.u...s-hugh-4845593

https://www.businessinnovationmag.co...eel-fishermen/

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    No, not the Guardian but the New York Times
    So brilliant, I can't even tell if you're serious
    A parody account on the FRA Forum perchance?

The NYT is becoming like the Daily Mash, with it's latest headline grabber about the UK mix and matching vaccines.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...exit-boom.html
    Andrew Neil

Economically we’ve been pulling away from the European Union for some time.

In 1990, 60 per cent of our exports went to Europe. Now it’s closer to 40 per cent.

We were the only EU member to trade more with the rest of the world than with our EU partners. Significantly, we run a decent trade surplus with the rest of the world; we run a huge deficit with the EU.

The Eurozone is expected to languish in slow or no growth for the foreseeable future, much like Japan. It is hobbled by an over-valued currency, limited fiscal firepower and a monetary policy that has run out of ammunition. It is deeply divided North-South over debt and East-West over civil liberties and the rule of law.

Asia is where the opportunities will be in the 2020s. And America, where consumers and businesses accumulated over $3.5 trillion in savings and liquid assets during the pandemic.

That’s a wall of money ready to be spent if ever I saw one.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I would be fine if the eel guy goes bust, eels are a protected species (under european eel regulation) and critically endangered.
    I've not understood how we continue to licence the capture of tons of glass eels annually for export to EU eel farms. There's an estimated 350million glass eels illegally smuggled to the far east each year on top of the legal captures to Europe.
    A fine way to conserve a protected species!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I agree, its circulation has plunged and I loathe Alison Pearson but I share the paper with my mother and she prefers it to The Times so as a dutiful son...?
    Long long ago in a galaxy far away I used to read the Telegraph all the time, mainly because of Matt, easily the best newspaper cartoonist there is, and the sports coverage. Nowadays, despite Matt and the the sports coverage, I wouldn’t be seen dead reading it.

I have the guardian and the Times on my phone, paying voluntarily for the Guardian and subscribing to the Times. Witton seemed to be complaining about the Guardian always asking for monetary contributions but, as things stand, it’s entirely free on-line (if you’re happy not to help them) which is a rare thing. Also their coverage is supremely fair and balanced, more so than even the Times. Yes they complain a lot but Jesus there’s a heck of a lot to complain about with this shower
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 03-01-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Also their coverage is supremely fair and balanced
    fair and balanced like the 3 year pursuit of innocent people? Yeh right. Good one. Keep 'em coming
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Blimey, if only someone could’ve foreseen this....

So UK salmon and beef will be cheaper for people in the UK then?

And presumably things imported will get more expensive. Do I need to ready the household for a change from avocado to gravlax. The sacrifices we have a make...