Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Banned
    VOTE LEAVE and open up the UK to the whole world again. Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    VOTE LEAVE and open up the UK to the whole world again. Seconded
    I am voting Leave as I believe in the people of Britain to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    I am voting Leave as I believe in the people of Britain to get it right.
    I am voting stay partly because I'd prefer to have our friends influencing our decisions (and us theirs). No man is an island - not a great analogy I know as the UK is not a man, but is an island.

I tell you what, Stagger you don't vote, I won't vote and we'll get 30 minutes of our day back each.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but didn't Cameron say that unless he got agreement on his reform proposals he would lead us out of Europe?
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The truth is no one can predict with any real accuracy. Our economy will be far more influenced by ourselves and by world events than our membership of the EU.
    A vote to leave will not be doom, and it will not be boom and that is what even all the experts are saying.
    This really hits the nail on the head. And "no-one can predict" applies not just to the economy, but to most other aspects that you mention. Which is why I will be going with my gut feeling, that voting to leave would send out a really bad message to the rest of the world; so I will grit my teeth and vote to remain in this deeply flawed institution called the EU, in the hope that it is not beyond reform.

I know that you, WP, and many other leavers want to do so for entirely honourable and broad-minded reasons; to "open up the UK to the whole world". But you have the great misfortune to have Nigel Farage on your side! And the message that will go out if Leave wins is that the UK is self-centred and doesn't care about anyone else.

It happens that I will be in Germany from 30 June to 5 July. I could find myself in very interesting discussions if Leave wins. I think I prefer not to have any interesting discussions on my short holiday!
    Last edited by anthonykay; 22-06-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Banned
    If we leave the EU Cameron will step down. Thats a great reason to vote LEAVE

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    If we leave the EU Cameron will step down. Thats a great reason to vote LEAVE
    Who do we get instead of him though, not many desirable options, Gove, Johnson or May, no thanks. As for Gideon hes bad enough at maths cant trust him with anything else.

It was the first election I voted at in 1974 (they let 17 yr olds vote)and I voted in. I will be doing the same tomorrow. The EU has done great things for this country and with out it we would be nothing. When Gove, Farage and Johnson are leading the no campaign it's a no brainer. What will be interesting either way is the future of the tory party

This decision is much more important than who is leading the out campaign, if Cameron had done what he said then he would be leading it.

It really is a vote of principal, not personalities, not short term concerns about the economy and certainly not immigration.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I will be voting Leave because:

- It will restore democracy and self determination to Britain. We elect MP's and therefore Governments who are accountable to us. At present more and more laws are being made by people who have no accountability to us, in fact no accountability to anyone. How do you get rid of an EU Commissioner?

Some people are in favour of remaining in the EU because they see it as a bulwark against Tory Governments. But the EU is not progressive. Look at the way it has treated Greece and other southern European countries to see that. Not to mention the Common Agricultural Policy that discriminates against third world farmers. Plus every five years we can remove Governments we don't like. In the words of Tony Benn, "I'd rather have a bad parliament than a good king".

- The UK will prosper economically outside the EU, being able to make it's own trade deals with the rest of the world. Britain is historically an outward looking maritime power with links around the world. There has never been a better opportunity to exploit those links.

Emma Thompson in an example of how some of the metropolitan elite view their own country described Britain as a "tiny little cloud-bolted, rainy corner of sort-of Europe, a cake-filled misery-laden grey old island”, And yet we have the fifth biggest economy in the world, are the fourth largest military power, are arguably ranked number one in terms of "soft" power and have a seat on the UN Security Council. We're not that small, we might just do alright.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 22-06-2016 at 02:52 PM.