Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Hannan. Born in 1971 and Oxford educated Tory. He'll certainly bring a free approach to politics
    I'm with your there Chris. He talks a lot of sense and has a depth of knowledge.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

This preview of the voting slip, may help the undecided https://i.imgur.com/vrULsZj.jpg

I find it really interesting to look at the breakdown of the opinion polls published by the Economist. No editorial slant, just the numbers.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...-eu-referendum

It allows you to break down all of those polled by categories.

It's fascinating.

Short summary, in general, Labour & Lib Dems vote Remain, UKIP vote Leave, and the party whose supporters most accurately reflect the general public on this issue is the Conservatives. I didn't see that coming.

The North wants to leave (just), the South wants to stay (just) ..... which is probably a reflection of:

The rich want to stay and the poor want to leave. I suspect that there's a fair amount of "I'm doing alright at the moment so I'm voting with the status quo" going on in people's heads. Fear of the unknown and "better the devil you know".

Scotland wants to remain and Wales wants to leave. Of all things, this is what worries me the most. I have an awful feeling that this is going to go to the wire and it will be rural Scotland/Wales that tips the balance one way or the other. Remain or Leave, I think the internal constitutional arrangements of the UK will be revisited a lot sooner than anyone imagined.

Women and men are equally split. Good. It should reflect the general population.

The young want to remain and the old want to leave. I find this the most interesting of all. I have no explanations for this one. Anyone?

The other good link for looking at details is the British Election Study map of likely vote totals in different areas.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ote-eu-8258198

In summary, the bigger the city, the greater the remain vote ....... in conjunction with the Rich/Poor stats from the polls, clearly our cities aren't the pit of urban poverty that they're usually made out to be.

What does it say about us fellrunners ....... the flattest part of the country (The Fens) has the largest remain vote. Lakeland slightly tips towards Leave and the Dales are split down the middle.

Whatever your viewpoint, no vote is a wasted vote today so get out and vote.
    When the fells call, they scream.

I really don't understand Scotland, they seem to want to leave the UK but remain in Europe.

Should the Scottish votes count? Nicola wots her name has said that if we vote to leave they will do their own thing anyway.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    I find it really interesting to look at the breakdown of the opinion polls published by the Economist. No editorial slant, just the numbers.

The young want to remain and the old want to leave. I find this the most interesting of all. I have no explanations for this one. Anyone?

One explanation https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-eu-referendum with a bit of editorial slant

Banned
    Cross placed in bottom box.

And one in the top box. Although we'll cancel each other out, at least we won't be considered apathetic voters.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    And one in the top box. Although we'll cancel each other out, at least we won't be considered apathetic voters.
    While the polls are open, it is a criminal offence for anyone, not just broadcasters, to publish anything about the way in which people have voted in the referendum, where that is based on information given by voters after they have voted.

I voted out, see you in Jail.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I am firmly in the 'leave' camp. I am heartened to read on this forum that there are many deciding to vote leave too .
    I feel in Britain a sense that we have lost something, not only with modernity but because of the 'community' with the rest of Europe. To quote John Major:

'Fifty years on from now, Britain will still be the country of long shadows on cricket grounds, warm beer, invincible green suburbs, dog lovers and pools fillers and, as George Orwell said, 'Old maids bicycling to holy communion through the morning mist' .

It isn't even that now, 20 years after that was written.

I blame this on the inability of Britain to see itself as a separate nation. I feel it is hamstrung, to a certain extent, by the far reaching claws of Europe, homogenising our lives to the point where anywhere in Europe has a familiar feel. I would encourage the rest of Europe to think carefully about what they have lost too.

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    One in particular appeals to me. His name is Daniel Hannan. This Man has a good grasp of European law and has fought to leave the European union with well argued articles. He also has a good understanding of political history and freedom. I think he would make a good prime minister.
    He would have to find a seat and become an MP first to have any leadership ambitions. He is currently an MEP although as he has said on a number of occasions he would like to be sacked from his current job by us leaving the EU.

But I agree with you, Daniel Hannan has written some excellent well reasoned articles over the years. He also comes across well when interviewed and on debating panels. I think the Leave campaign have missed a trick by not using him more.