Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    More widely, this inept shenanigans also plays right into the hands of the SNP and their like, providing further ammo to those who want to see a break up of the Union. Come to think of it, wasn't the Act of Union 1707 just another international treaty? So what if they promised not to have another INDY ref within a generation. They might have done a Boris and played that well tried diplomatic get-out-of-a-promise tactic of having had their fingers crossed behind their backs. Doh!
    I think we may have already seen peak SNP who gained from the anti-labour lurch.
    I think many Scots would quite like it, but they look at the level of support that being part of the UK brings and would be reluctant to go it alone.
    A lot of SNP voters are Brexiteers and a lot are not actually pro Independence. They certainly aren't pro independence and then join the EUers.
    See if the various factions can come together. I sense not, but it's all guesswork for now.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I think we may have already seen peak SNP........they look at the level of support that being part of the UK brings and would be reluctant to go it alone.
    unless you actually look at the most recent polls, with 57% saying they'll vote SNP, more than twice the vote for any other party and 53% supporting a "yes" to independence vote.

In fact in the 16 polls about independence this year, only two have come out against (in both cases by 1%) and two were tied.

So yeah, sounds like the Scottish are really anti-independence.

Two months ago polls also suggested support for rejoining the EU was at 63%. And a few weeks ago, 67% were against leaving the EU, up from 62% in the referendum.

So yeah, sounds like the Scottish are really anti-EU.

Wouldn't it be nice to support opinions with some actual data once in a while?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    Correct me if I'm wrong but at the time of the EU referendum, were they part of the UK?

The majority voted to leave last time i checked.

The decision should stand.

So if Scotland vote for independence and re-join the EU I assume we will insist on a water tight border and customs checks to prevent sub-standard EU goods entering the UK.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    So if Scotland vote for independence and re-join the EU I assume we will insist on a water tight border and customs checks to prevent sub-standard EU goods entering the UK.
    Perhaps so, and I suppose you'll get away with that as you ventured a question rather than framing it as an opinion.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I think we may have already seen peak SNP who gained from the anti-labour lurch.
    I think many Scots would quite like it, but they look at the level of support that being part of the UK brings and would be reluctant to go it alone.
    A lot of SNP voters are Brexiteers and a lot are not actually pro Independence. They certainly aren't pro independence and then join the EUers.
    See if the various factions can come together. I sense not, but it's all guesswork for now.
    But if the Brexit referendum tells us anything, people will vote for nationalism and flag wavery pokery over and above economic common sense. Things though will get messy in Scotland if they hold another referendum and it’s a close run thing - if they’ve got half a brain they’ll set a minimum threshold of 60% of the vote to leave the U.K. (which is what should’ve happened on the brexit referendum)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    But if the Brexit referendum tells us anything, people will vote for nationalism and flag wavery pokery over and above economic common sense. Things though will get messy in Scotland if they hold another referendum and it’s a close run thing - if they’ve got half a brain they’ll set a minimum threshold of 60% of the vote to leave the U.K. (which is what should’ve happened on the brexit referendum)

WHY?

In a democracy a majority vote should win surly.

So everyone should be economists not nationalist?

A close vote causes massive animosity between the factions that’s why. Or hadn’t you noticed over the past 4 years?

By the way, I think 60% is probably doable in Scotland, given a couple more years of Boris’s shitshow

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Mmmh. I suppose it depends on how you define 'a lot'. According to a poll by Lord Ashcroft (who, incidentally, was a Brexit supporter) the split among SNP voters was 64% to 36% in favour of Remain. The split among Conservative voters was 58% to 42% in favour of Leave. So the proportion of SNP voters who voted for Leave was lower (according to Ashcroft's poll) than the proportion of Conservative voters who voted for Remain.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/0...rendum-and-why

So, if everything is to be viewed through the prism of Brexit, then perhaps the Conservative party have more to fear from a loss of Remain voters than the SNP have to fear from a loss of Leave voters. Or, especially given that the UK has actually already left the EU (despite what some people seem to think), perhaps viewing everything through the prism of the historical Brexit vote is not particularly illuminative or informative. My own view, for what it's worth, tends to the latter. So what will drive the way people vote in future elections if not the way they voted in the EU referendum years previously? Events, dear boy, events. (As Harold Macmillan may, or may not, have said.) And my guess is that there are going to be a lot of them over the next 2 or 3 years.

May I ask where you got your information from to support your statements I quoted above?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The decision should stand.
    The UK has already left the EU. The UK (i.e., including Scotland) left the EU at 11 pm GMT on 31 January 2020. Didn't you notice?