Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Brexit itself has failed. The tories had an illusion that we could still have our cake and eat it for free but what we’ve actually got is peanuts, huge costs, reduced economic potential and a shit load of added red tape.

This article from the Guardian nails it https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
    I started to read the article but was put off by the negativity, nastiness and just general BS that seems to be a feature of the Guardian these days, as well as the begging for financial support when I occasionally land on the website.
    This from a rag in decline that seems to have a propensity for printing bare-faced lies as has been highlighted in the courts recently.

Interesting watching the Commons debate that even Barry Sheerman, the one famous for several red faced rants in the Commons over Brexit, said it was "a much better deal than I expected, so I will support it in the Division Lobbies tonight"

Sone in Norway also seem to think the arrangement is quite a good one.
    https://www.thelocal.no/20201229/nor...l-than-the-eea

And a more balanced Remainer view of the arrangements can be found in the Indi by John Rentoul.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1778653.html
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I fear the Guardian is little more than the whinging paper these day, personally I don't believe a word that is printed in there, it is not the newspaper it once was.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I fear the Guardian is little more than the whinging paper these day, personally I don't believe a word that is printed in there, it is not the newspaper it once was.
    For 60 years I have taken either The Daily Telegraph and/or The Times (and the Financial Times when someone else was paying), and briefly The Guardian when it was de rigeur for a new job I had moved into, and there has been a steady decline in standards of coverage, balance, honesty, use of English etc

I appreciate that newspapers are part of a print industry in terminal decline but that does not alleviate the regret.

(Although The Daily Telegraph does still print my letters so it's not all bad)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-01-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

(Although The Daily Telegraph does still print my letters so it's not all bad)
    "Angry of Ilkley?"

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    "Angry of Ilkley?"
    Nah. Droll humour illuminating the human condition.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Haha it’s all about perspective - I on the other hand think that the Daily Telegraph has gone full on stark raving right wing bonkers Daily Mail.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    For 60 years I have taken either The Daily Telegraph and/or The Times (and the Financial Times when someone else was paying), and briefly The Guardian when it was de rigeur for a new job I had moved into, and there has been a steady decline in standards of coverage, balance, honesty, use of English etc
    But does the Grauniad still have the best typographic errors?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Haha it’s all about perspective - I on the other hand think that the Daily Telegraph has gone full on stark raving right wing bonkers Daily Mail.
    I agree, its circulation has plunged and I loathe Alison Pearson but I share the paper with my mother and she prefers it to The Times so as a dutiful son...?

I on the other hand think that the Daily Telegraph has gone full on stark raving right wing bonkers Daily Mail.
    Have you read the Mail or Telegraph lately?

The Telegraph has certainly veered to the Centre over the last couple of years, but I suppose if one is looking from your perspective the Independent is probably alt right and the Morning Star rather centrist and mainstream
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Nah. Droll humour illuminating the human condition.
    Glad to hear it. Unfortunately the telegraph is too right-wing for me so I'm unlikely to read any of them.

My other criteria in a paper: the Telegraph cryptic crossword is not great. Good cricket coverage though from what I remember. These days I prefer Michael Atherton in the Times - when I can get a free copy. I think I'd buy the Indie if I ever actually bought a paper.