Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

I agree sbrt the house of lords needs ditching as well

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post

The EU started out as a noble idea in the post war world as a means to bring former enemies together...
    Indeed.

I suppose if Parliament had held a ballot on whether or not we should go to war against Germany in 1939 voters would have considered visionary matters like the price of fish, decided not to bother and we'd now be part of a greater Germany and so would not need this tedious ballot.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I would suggest that being in the EU is akin to being part of Greater Germany, seems to be that its Germany who call the shots in Europe.

Master
    I was in a local cafe this morning and the Daily Mail was one of the only bits of reading material I had not already seen - its idea of the PM's performance last night was so different from mine - it is all so subjective, very few facts. I don't pretend to know more than anybody else, but I know who's company I would prefer to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaning Hobbler View Post
    I would suggest that being in the EU is akin to being part of Greater Germany, seems to be that its Germany who call the shots in Europe.
    One of the biggest problems I've got with the arguments to leave the EU is that even if we did, most people are in agreement that we would still need to accept a certain degree of EU legislation in order to have continued access to the market. So it's either we help make the laws that govern us, or we have no say in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I can understand your concerns but I think the question to ask would be if not now then when? It's 41 years since the people of this country were last allowed a say on their future in Europe and let's be honest, it will be a long long time before the establishment risks asking us again.

There are some in the EU who welcome a Brexit anyway since it would allow them to more closely integrate. If that is what they wish then they can do so without the British dissenting voice impeding them. An inner core may do so and perhaps other countries on the periphery such as the Scandinavian nations may in time join us in a much looser arrangement.

There is nothing at all to prevent us from cooperating with our European allies in the face of Russian aggression following Brexit. In fact why wouldn't we? We still have NATO after all.

We don't need to be in a political union to cooperate with fellow democratic countries. We have NATO as I mentioned plus the UK and France already cooperate bilaterally on military matters independently of the EU. On security issues our closest alliance is the "Five Eyes" agreement with the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. None of the other four are in the EU but we quite happily share intelligence information with them.

The EU started out as a noble idea in the post war world as a means to bring former enemies together but it is now well past its sell by date. Don't you think it is telling that no group of countries anywhere in the world wishes to copy the EU?

Have I done enough to persuade you back again?
    Brexit may only encourage Russian aggression. Far better to stay strong than risk another turf war with the poor esatern europeans yet again bearing the brunt. I'm with you on your arguments because in my heart I am still a leaver. But my head says no.

Wonder how Africa would be if it behaved like EU? No more tin-pot dictators murdering and massacring? No more tide of displaced humanity desperately trying to get to the haven of EU???
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Indeed...the best of all possible worlds. We are part of the industrial power house of Europe over which we have some influence and we retain speaking our own version of a Germanic language (with some bits of Latin etc).

What is the German for "this pointless ballot is a no-brainer"?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    One of the biggest problems I've got with the arguments to leave the EU is that even if we did, most peoEple are in agreement that we would still need to accept a certain degree of EU legislation in order to have continued access to the market. So it's either we help make the laws that govern us, or we have no say in them.
    Exactly which EU laws do countries such as USA, China, India, Brazil, Australia, NZ, etc, etc help to make before they can trade with the EU ?

Exactly which EU laws do countries such as USA, China, India, Brazil, Australia, NZ, etc, etc help to make before they can trade with the EU ?
    True but the EU can choose to setup any trade barriers they choose against these countries. In fact there was a drive to do so in regard to chineese steel imports but the UK was one of the countries that argued against it. I am not saying the UK was wrong as tarrifs can lead to tit-for-tat retaliations.

I would wonder how brexit would effect the "the city"?

Is this the same " city" banking, financial sector that was responsible for the worst recession in living memory or the "city " responsible for numerous banking scandals and been fined hundreds of millionsof pounds or the same "city " that has been bailed out by the UK tax payer ? Musnt do anything that might upset the " city " must we.