Thread: Boots for running

Boots for running

Sometimes the idea of running through deep muddy puddles in fell shoes gets to be irritating, especially if I'm out having a gentle jog with the dogs. Aside from the discomfort...and the trenchfoot... and that diluted muck that seems to find its way behind every toenail...there's the fact that it makes going for a run in all this weather we're having that bit less appealing. I mean, I enjoy sploshing over the moors and through streams that have formed down rutted paths as much as the next man...but when it's a 3 mile potter around the local reservoir....well, sometimes, I admit, I'd like dry, clean, warm feet when I've done.

Recently, in proper wuss fashion, I have taken to wearing boots.

A couple of years ago I got sick of wearing heavy Meindl walking boots and bought a pair of Teva Chair 5s. They're designed to be a lightweight, packable winter boot. They are indeed, incredibly light. They have a sole which suits someone used to minimal fell shoes. There's no metal plate....it's 100% flexible and with pretty much zero drop. They're waterproof. They come with inner bootees, which are great, but seldom needed. I wear them with thick socks and find them reasonably snug.

Each boot weighs in at about 400 grams. There are no big lugs, so you wouldn't want to tackle a slippery descent in them, but for woodland trails and paths with long, deep puddles, they are pretty much perfect. When it's throwing it down now, I put on full montane Atomic wets and the these boots and can run 3 steady miles and stay warm/dry save for a bit of perspiration. I went through a cow field the other day that was so deep with sloppy mud that it would have made a detour necessary in X talons. It was great to just plough on through it without a care.

I have had some of the Walsh ankle boots before, which were ok, but not entirely waterproof. I also found that the studded soles were very slippy on rocks. Accidentally, I seem to have found a really good alternative.

Anyway, for any other softees who want a boot that you can run in, as well as having a great snow boot...they're worth a look. Sportshoes had them for about £40 when I bought mine....which was ridiculously cheap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manothemoors View Post
    Sometimes the idea of running through deep muddy puddles in fell shoes gets to be irritating, especially if I'm out having a gentle jog with the dogs. Aside from the discomfort...and the trenchfoot... and that diluted muck that seems to find its way behind every toenail...there's the fact that it makes going for a run in all this weather we're having that bit less appealing. I mean, I enjoy sploshing over the moors and through streams that have formed down rutted paths as much as the next man...but when it's a 3 mile potter around the local reservoir....well, sometimes, I admit, I'd like dry, clean, warm feet when I've done.

Recently, in proper wuss fashion, I have taken to wearing boots.

A couple of years ago I got sick of wearing heavy Meindl walking boots and bought a pair of Teva Chair 5s. They're designed to be a lightweight, packable winter boot. They are indeed, incredibly light. They have a sole which suits someone used to minimal fell shoes. There's no metal plate....it's 100% flexible and with pretty much zero drop. They're waterproof. They come with inner bootees, which are great, but seldom needed. I wear them with thick socks and find them reasonably snug.

Each boot weighs in at about 400 grams. There are no big lugs, so you wouldn't want to tackle a slippery descent in them, but for woodland trails and paths with long, deep puddles, they are pretty much perfect. When it's throwing it down now, I put on full montane Atomic wets and the these boots and can run 3 steady miles and stay warm/dry save for a bit of perspiration. I went through a cow field the other day that was so deep with sloppy mud that it would have made a detour necessary in X talons. It was great to just plough on through it without a care.

I have had some of the Walsh ankle boots before, which were ok, but not entirely waterproof. I also found that the studded soles were very slippy on rocks. Accidentally, I seem to have found a really good alternative.

Anyway, for any other softees who want a boot that you can run in, as well as having a great snow boot...they're worth a look. Sportshoes had them for about £40 when I bought mine....which was ridiculously cheap.
    Aside from what you're using, may I also add here a suggestion, a pair of Vasque:
    I spotted these boots in an outdoor magazine and a website (Outdoor Gear Up) where people said they were comfortable the first day. After a year of wearing them (for outdoor activities) I agree that they are very comfortable, even with a bad foot that has plagued me for years.

They look decent for walking but I don't think I'd fancy running in them. They look heavy...a rather substantial sole too.

inv-8 roclite boots are very light and waterproof...grip is good too with the roclite soles. I did a lot of winter walking in my original pair and found the grip superior to my friends mountain boots on wet rock or ice?
    The newer ones seem flimsier so not sure how long the membrane would last but put a pair of sealskins inside and good to go.

I will look into those, and the new Walsh PB Elite boots. There are some merrell trail boots too which I might check out. I'm pretty much fed up with Inov 8s falling apart on me now though.