Thread: Kit suggestions

Kit suggestions

I suspect I am going over old ground here but please can someone recommend:

1) A good lightweight highly waterproof rucksack suitable for distance events (High Peak Marathon, BGR) and hiking. Not worried about price just want quality in terms of keeping stuff dry and being light and comfortable to wear. I like the look of Osprey ones but not sure how good they are and whether suitable for running.

2) I have been using Salomon Speedcross3 for trail running but looking to start fell running and was hoping someone could explain the pros and cons of Mudclaw versus a Walsh shoe. Is there any benefit in having one of each or are they very similar? Also seen Roclite and Terraclaw mentioned but not sure these would be much different to my speedcross?

Thanks in advance
    Phil

For the rucsack, I wouldn't personally recommend getting a waterproof one. Instead I would opt for a decent rucksack with the required features for running etc (i've used both Inov-8 & OMM packs and found both to be excellent), and then get yourself a waterproof liner.

I wouldn't go for one of the ones from Exped or similar as they're not very durable, or really all that waterproof. Instead i'd go for one of the basic plastic rucksack liners stocked by most outdoor stores. I got mine from Blacks donkeys years ago for about £5, it's 30L, weighs next to nothing and folds right down for smaller packs. Totally waterproof as there's no coating to wear off, it'd only be a hole that would cause a problem.

Trainer wise - Mudclaw grip is better than Walsh on most terrain. Walsh are the classic fell trainer but probably more equivalent to an X-Talon than Mudclaw for levels of grip. Also the construction is more basic so while they last pretty well, I personally find they feel a bit 'flat' when pushing off at speed whereas the Inov-8 metaflex system gives a noticeable spring in comparison.

Having moved from a pack with chest and waist straps, to a vest, I won't be going back to rucksacks in a hurry. Plenty of options but I personally use the inov-8 raceelite 16 - big enough to get plenty of gear in, but compresses down when not full.

shoes are a whole different kettle of fish... each to their own

Really helpful thanks. Sounds like mudclaws are the way forward. I found a pair for £60 on Internet but they are 300 rather than 265. Aside from the weight difference which seems pretty small (for a novice like me anyway) is there any reason why I should go for 265 instead (I can't find these as cheap)?

In my opinion i found the 300s are quite clumpy, while the 265s felt more agile, however lots of people swear by the 300s. Not sure where and when this may happen but if you can find a come along and try event then you could have a go of some different types (inov8 came along with a van load of trainers to our club a year or so back, so I was able to try before I bought)

Thanks MarkyMark I bought a pair of 265's as found them for £60 online. Agile is what I am aspiring to!