Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Mountain/Wind sht

Buffalo Mountain/Wind sht

Could not post the full title due to character limit!

I was just wondering what people's experiences were of these - are they suitable for running in, or are they at the wrong ends of the spectrum? The windshirt looks like it might be a decent outer layer, but I've not seen any of them worn by anyone!

The mountain shirt looks like a great piece of kit for slow-moving stuff in the cold, but looks a bit heavy duty for anything fast-paced.

Does anyone own either of these, if so what do you use it for?

thanks

Got both of them. I sweat cobs just looking at my mountain shirt, so wouldn't fancy running in it. The windshirt's top kit for running, windproof and does a good job at fending off light showers.
    Foxy

Mountain shirt is standard kit for out door instructors. I've used them on long winter days like HPM when the weather is bad but forget for normal running way too warm.

Great Marshal kit

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    Could not post the full title due to character limit!

I was just wondering what people's experiences were of these - are they suitable for running in, or are they at the wrong ends of the spectrum? The windshirt looks like it might be a decent outer layer, but I've not seen any of them worn by anyone!

The mountain shirt looks like a great piece of kit for slow-moving stuff in the cold, but looks a bit heavy duty for anything fast-paced.

Does anyone own either of these, if so what do you use it for?

thanks
    The windshirt is fine. I've had one for 20 plus years but tend not to run in it as its relatively heavy for a pertext top. There are much lighter and ( when on sale) cheaper alternatives available ( e.g http://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/mens...ock-black.html...looks like M and L sizes have gone). I can't imagine ever running in a buffalo mountain shirt. Brilliant piece of kit but only for fell walking between the end of Oct. to the beginning of April!
    Am Yisrael Chai

I echo what everyone else has said. I have the mardale version of the mountain shirt and it is far too hot for running. It does squash down surprisingly small though (for the bulky beast it is), I got it to fit into the bottom quarter of a 22 litre day pack on Monday.

The windshirt is an awsome bit of kit. I have had mine for about 10 -12 years. It is very versatile; with a decent baselayer it great for mild winter walking and with a good woolen jumper it might as well be the mountain shirt.

I tend to use it with my running vest instead of a baselayer as I can vent at the sides to cool off as I run or pull it off and and tie it around my waist as I'm moving. I also have attached the DP hood to it which is great for quickly flipping up and down as you need it instead of donning, removing and stowing a hat. Nice roomy map pocket at the front too. The main downside is the thick pertex doesn't pack down like other windshirts, it'll basically fill a bumbag. If I want a packable windshirt I carry a Berghaus Cloudline.

It puts me in an odd position in races; in that I'm carrying 2 jackets to comply with FRA rules. If the weather is bad I'm wearing my buffalo windshirt because I prefer it to anything else and I've got a compliant waterproof in my bumbag.
    Last edited by helix; 09-03-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Ditto what everyone else has said really. The mountain shirt is way to warm for running but I have been comfortable with a helly warm base layer under it when it has been well below freezing - a marvellous bit of kit and well worth having if you intend on doing anything in the hills in winter that doesn't involve running.
    Likewise the windshirt but heed the cautions over weight/thickness - it will fill a small bumbag.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Thanks everyone. I think I might get a mountain shirt for dog walking. I'll probably give the windshirt a try too, when the mrs has forgotten about the cost of the former!

Super Moderator
    I wear a Buffalo for dog walking and its brilliant. Also top rated for hanging around obscure Lakeland lay-bys and car parks of a Friday night in the summer
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    ...Also top rated for hanging around obscure Lakeland lay-bys and car parks of a Friday night in the summer
    I thought the police had stopped you doing that now.

Super Moderator
    It's good to see the original spirit of the forum is alive and well in Peakland Geoff
    Poacher turned game-keeper