Thread: Shorts

Shorts

I'm on the hunt for a pair of shorts and am being indecisive. I'm after something with a couple of gel pockets plus a zipped pocket big enough to take a small emergency phone - the standard top of the arse style zip pocket is big enough.

Right now I can't decide between two styles though - twin skin or single. On the single front something like the Montane VKM shorts looks ideal (though for the life of me I can't find any photos of their pockets, so can't see if they'll do.) On the twin skin front I'm looking at the Salomon Endurance Twinskin shorts.

Do people notice any benefit to the twin skin style? I do have a pair of 'tight' style shorts already which with something like the VKM I could chuck underneath on cooler days, so I'm veering that way right now - but I'm open to suggestions.

I have a pair of Salomon trail shorts (not twinskin) which have two gel pockets and a wee zip one at the back and a pair of Salomon twinskin ones which only have gel pockets. I wear the trail shorts a lot more, to the point where I've worn a hole in the ar$e somehow! I don't think the lower end Salomon twinskin shorts are all that great and wouldn't buy them again. Ronhill do shorts with lots of pockets which look quite good and can be had cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by james_a View Post
    two gel pockets and a wee zip one at the back
    surely the wee zip should be at the front?

Most of the shorts I've seen have zipped pockets at the back just above the cheeks. Tights too. Less obtrusive than you'd expect, I've often had a panic thinking I've lost my car key only the find it still there.

Ended up ordering the montane's, if there is any benefit to a compressive under short I can always layer them. Winced at paying £40 for them mind. But I tend to do that before a race - panic buy, test with a last minute run then hope it all works out on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a pair of shorts and am being indecisive. I'm after something with a couple of gel pockets plus a zipped pocket big enough to take a small emergency phone - the standard top of the arse style zip pocket is big enough.

Right now I can't decide between two styles though - twin skin or single. On the single front something like the Montane VKM shorts looks ideal (though for the life of me I can't find any photos of their pockets, so can't see if they'll do.) On the twin skin front I'm looking at the Salomon Endurance Twinskin shorts.

Do people notice any benefit to the twin skin style? I do have a pair of 'tight' style shorts already which with something like the VKM I could chuck underneath on cooler days, so I'm veering that way right now - but I'm open to suggestions.
    Arc'teryx Soleus shorts. Single skin(??) with a liner for your bits. Expensive but worth every penny. Can take Gels, energy bar and a phone no problemo. They're cool in summer too - I take mine on holday, swim in them, dry in minutes, run in evening, rinse ready for the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    surely the wee zip should be at the front?
    Behave!