Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roclite Alternative?

Roclite Alternative?

Looking for a Roclite alternative after years of loyally buying this shoe. I'm getting a bit fed up with the build quality of the uppers. They have always gone around 200+ miles, but my latest 280's have worn through after only 120 miles. Always the same spot too. At the point where the end of your little toe is parralel with the material, thus causing blistering.
    Looking for an all rounder that can cope with a mile or 2 of road, tracks, trails & bogs. Any suggestions? (Preferably £50 as I usually buy old models when they come up in sales).

What about the New Balance MT00v2; currently about that price on Sports Shoes or Wiggle (I can't remember which) or the MT110v2 which I saw through the window in the outlet shop in Keswick last week but couldn't make out the price but I imagine it would be there or there abouts.

I bought the MT00v2 about 18 months ago and have only done fell races and some orienteering in them. They have held up well on road, bog, gritstone, sandstone, heather bashing, bramble onslaughts but they are not great on wet rock. I am doing BG Leg 4 support in April and I will not be wearing them. I have put about 124 miles on them and they are still in good condition but very dirty; the faux suede upper holds the muck but dries easy. I bought them as a replacement for Mudclaws and they were 90% of the way there but to be honest having had them a while I'd say they are more like a very good brand new pair of Roclites.

I can't tell the difference between the MT00v2 and the MT110v2 technically apart from the upper but I think they made the MT00v2 to drain quickly for British conditions and the MT110v2 is the standard New Balance mountain shoe affair ie: designed for dry American hard packed trail conditions.

I admit I am a fan of New Balance but these are worth having a look at. NB can be a strange fit and the staff in the outlet shops always tell you to size up by half a size.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I too got a bit fed up with the build quality of late with Inov-8 shoes.
    I tried the La Sportiva Anakonda initially as a replacement for Mudclaws which they most certainly are not.
    However, I now use them for mixed trails and they have enough grip for some mud and fell use. Fine for a couple of miles on road but the fit is not for everyone especially the heel cup which is quite robust. I've not replaced my worn out terrocs or mudclaws and now use these instead.

Currently £51 on wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/la-sportiva-...da-shoes-aw15/
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Tried Anakondas - grip seemed OK and initially comfortable but gave me heel blisters after about 5 miles.
    Despite still being Inov8, and far from cheap, the Terraclaw 250s are a very comfortable shoe with acceptable grip on trails, though not on steep mud or grass. Their sole looks very similar to a Roclite. They have more room for your toes than Roclites, but grip the heel well so that your feet do not slop about inside the shoe.

Trailroc 255's have about the same amount of grip and cushioning as Roclites if you want to stay with Inov8 - think they're discontinued now ( replaced by Terraclaw ?? ) but still quite recent, so may be a few bargains around.

How much cushioning and drop do you like ? Speedcross are pretty robust, and good grip, but at 10mm are a bit too high for some. New Balance 910v2 is quite similar to Speedcross ( lower at 8mm ) - I find them my go to show for mixed terrain now.

Jez - have you always gone for the 280?

I find the 280 a nice shoe to wear, but have exactly the same problem with the upper. The 295 though, generally lasts me a lot longer. I've had well over 500 miles out of some, though this is considerably less if they spend a lot of time wet...

Got some NB Helix & really like them. Not too keen on road sections in them though! But for running straight on to the fells they're great.
    Stumpy, always gone for a Roclite for general training & longer runs. I really like the 280, they work for me... apart from the build quality!
    I'll have a look at the Trailroc Yak. Would you say the fit is the same as a Roclite? Not tried Speedcross, but picked up some Fellraiser from TK Maxx (for a bargain £40)which I'm very impressed with. The build quality seems excellent. Although I have yet to break the 100 mile mark in them. Again, an aggressive sole, so wouldn't want to run too far on the road in them.
    I often wonder if it's the gnarly heather that I run through on Ilkley moor which is the cause of the sharp decline of the uppers on the280?
    Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice. Plenty to look at there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    I often wonder if it's the gnarly heather that I run through on Ilkley moor which is the cause of the sharp decline of the uppers on the280?!
    No, it's not just you Jez. The newer Roclite uppers don't seem to last 5 minutes. I had holes near my little toes on my 295's at about 100 miles of light use (no heather bashing or brambles). I scour ebay looking for good condition Terrocs and MudRocs in my size as the older Inov8s uppers last. I need a new pair of MudClaws for this coming winter as my 300's tread is practically bald after plenty of abuse but I am really worried that I will fork out the best part of £100 (if I can't get a deal) on the new ones and they will fall to pieces after a handful of races.

Well I e-mailed Inov-8 Helix, with an accompanying photo, on Monday because I was fed up with the quality. Haven't heard a dicky bird as yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    I'll have a look at the Trailroc Yak. Would you say the fit is the same as a Roclite? Not tried Speedcross, but picked up some Fellraiser from TK Maxx (for a bargain £40)which I'm very impressed with. The build quality seems excellent. Although I have yet to break the 100 mile mark in them. Again, an aggressive sole, so wouldn't want to run too far on the road in them.
    Yeh, Trailroc fit is very similar to Roclite, loads of room in the forefoot - I'm only at about 90 miles in mine, so can't comment on longevity too much, but no sign of wear yet. Note that there are 3 different Trailroc models - 235 ( 0mm drop ), 245 ( 3mm drop ) and 255 ( 6mm drop ) - as the Roclite 280 is I think a 9mm drop then the 255 would be the closest.

Sportsshoes.com doing the Trailroc 255 half price at the moment, got all sizes as well https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...standard-fit)/
    Last edited by Yaks; 17-03-2016 at 12:15 PM.