Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipping Show Fell Race

Chipping Show Fell Race

My brother being the kind chap he is has entered me into this race. It is my first ever fell race, and he keeps telling me that I should stop being a pussy, and have a go at it. Anyone any advice or info on this one?
    Last edited by magician; 21-08-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Re: Chipping Show Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    My brother being the kind chap he is has entered me into this race. It is my first ever fell race, and he keeps telling me that I should stop being a pussy, and have a go at it. Anyone any advice or info on this one?
    Can you pre-enter? According to the info I have, you enter by paying to get in the Show.

I don't know the race, someone else can maybe shed some light on it, but I would just say take your time and enjoy it. 8 mile doesn't sound too bad, but when you see the course record at 66 mins, I would guess that for most of us mere mortals it's going to be 1.5 - 2 hours.

I can't find the race route anywhere

can't do it any way as won't be there but I'm guessing it will be around the same sort of area as fiendsdale/paddys pole

8m - 2600ft

Dont get caught out here, my mate took the kids and wife along and it nearly cost him 15 quid to get into the show.

The only reason he was going was for the race. If your going with the sole intention of racing then go alone or with runners.

His choices where to leave the wife and kids outside the show and do the race or pay for everyone.

I think he arrived a bit to late in the day to warrant paying all that money for the sake of a race
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 21-08-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Well I have just spoken to my brother, and apparently he has not pre booked a place for us, but said that now I have said I will do it, I cant bottle out, so I figured what the hell!

It does sound so hard for my first race, 2600' climb, that will destroy me!

Whats the longest you have ran for Magician?

here is a link to what I have done, I keep a log of it:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/978...d0df1742ec0418

Tell me what you think, and also how I should best prepare.

Im no expert but you have got a few longs in you should be fine

no expert here either but if you want to 'just get round' then you'll certainly manage that.
    If your looking to be in the top percentages then it's gonna take a lot more hills to run up!!

Are these runs on your log road/off road or a mixture?

Your hill training - has that been off road??

A lot of the terrain around the hills in this area (ie chipping etc) mainly constitutes lots of bog dipping (snorkling in my case ) as oppose to bolder hopping. If you're not used to it it can be a bit weary on the legs but good fun all the same but be prepared to come back dirty and rather smelly!!

90% of my running has been on the roads, but I am going to use this an excuse to make the transition. I have been avoiding them for some time, intimidating they seem. I believe it sjust that I am scared that I will have to walk some of the hills, and fear last place. My hill training has been off road, up the nab, and great hill, anglezarke too etc.

I suppose I need to keep hitting the hills to get stronger, so let this be the first step eh. Would you recommend some hill training tonight perhaps?