Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overtrousers

Overtrousers

Does anyone have any experience of either the Montane Minimus or OMM Kamleika Race Pants? Or something similar?

They'll be used for races but also as my walking overtrousers to replace my bulky, heavy Deluge's. Veering towards the Kamleika's as they sound a bit more fitted and less rustly. But I won't be able to check them out in the flesh as I need to order online today.

Master
    I have Kaleikas`s they pack up nice and small and are light, easy to get on and off without removing footwear, I have had mine for several years now and on the few occasions I have used them they have perfomed well and are comfortable and quiet in use.
    But this is just my opinion based on a few uses as the weather has to b e pretty extreme before I resort to waterproofs.
    good luck with your choice
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    I wear Kamleika's for most runs in the Winter - they are over 3 years old now and going strong - a couple of small holes have appeared and these have been repaired with sticky stuff from the Climber's shop in Ambleside. Highly recommended for running - for walking, as they are elasticated at the ankle, you would need to find a way to stop water draining into your boots. I doubt they would be happy being repeatedly stretched to go outside a walking boot.

I've got some Montane Atomic trousers that I wear for wet weather cycling and walking as well as for kit for fell races. I've never actually run in them, but I'm sure they'd be fine for that.

They open up the side the of the calf for taking on/off over shoes which is very useful if you need to put them on in a hurry and have velcro adjusters on the lower leg to reduce volume/close them up over the top of a boot or shoe.

They're not the lightest but are decently waterproof. I'd buy them again.

Horses for courses. I'm on my second pair of Kamleika and have found them superb for all weather fell running, MMs, etc - not least because the cut means they don't impede running at all. However IMHO they are not really suited as walking trousers - for that I want something that I can plod along slowly in carrying a big pack all day in pissing rain and wind and remain warm and dry....and the Kamleikas won't manage that whereas heavier weight Goretex will..... also full length zips to get on and off over boots are a must for me for walking

P

Master
    Looked up the Atomic's out of interest - not clear from some advertisements, but, according to Montane, they do have taped seams and are 'fully waterproof'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Looked up the Atomic's out of interest - not clear from some advertisements, but, according to Montane, they do have taped seams and are 'fully waterproof'.
    Yes they're taped and waterproof. The fabric is sturdier than that used for the Minimus and not as breathable, but I don't find that matters as much for trousers as it would for a jacket.

I have the OMM kamleika, many years old and excellent. I find they get a bit heavy when totally soaked but not a big problem and overall very happy with them. They have a small hole on one thigh which weeps water in after a while, I keep meaning to see to that!
    I also have Inov8 race pants, I think that's what they're called, which are lighter and pack smaller, which is why I bought them. However I can't get them on over most fell / trail shoes which is annoying and an incredible, basic and unforgivable design flaw for a company purporting to be the dogs whatsits for rough running gear!

I too have a pair of the OMM Kamleikas and get on with them well. However I've found that when they get really wet the soft, stretchy material doesn't always slide over the knees too well, which causes each stride to gradually inch them downwards. I once spent a very wet Tour De Helvellyn hoiking them back up around my waist on every tenth step.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Has anyone tried Salomon Bonatti? Was checking them out on wiggle.